The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Anyone have a recommendation for a waterproof garment to be worn under the shirt?
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

i for one have never avioded getting wet no matter what i wear, so i don't try to fight it. there is a guy in my association who will wear a hefty bay (tall kitchen if you are small or lawn bag if you are truely hefty). i remember ben montgomery telling a story that he wore a scuba suit under his gear once, but that was to keep warm at a new england game. he said it was still cold.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

staying dry

If its hot out, getting wet isn't a problem. If it is cold and raining, or snowing, which I'm sure we will have before the season is over, Honigs carries gortex undergarments, and goretex lined shirts. Will keep you dry but they are warm, especially if worn over UA cold gear.

No fun if your cold and miserable.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Honig's carries Gore WindStopper, which is actually not Gore Tex. Gore Tex is the name of Gore's water/windproof laminate.

Windstopper has some water resistance, but is not waterproof. However, it is windproof and it's great on a cold day. It is more breathable than Gore Tex. I have a Gore WS pullover from Honig's, and it's great. Just don't expect it to be waterproof as it isn't and it's not supposed to be either.

I had one of these once, and it was ok, but not really what I'd call waterproof. More water resistable than then Windstopper though:
https://www.cliffkeen.com/shop.cgi?product_id=131

Anyone tried this??
https://www.cliffkeen.com/shop.cgi?product_id=130
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Back in CNY when it was warm and raining,
I'd wear a water repellant nylon pullover under
my long sleeved shirt.
I cringed at officials who wore plastic raincoats
over their uniforms--ugh.
There were a few times when I'd be in a "mud bowl"
and go right into the showers to rinse off the mud !
Down here- it's almost always short sleeves and
you just "suck it up" and get wet if it rains.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dommer1
Honig's carries Gore WindStopper, which is actually not Gore Tex. Gore Tex is the name of Gore's water/windproof laminate.

Windstopper has some water resistance, but is not waterproof. However, it is windproof and it's great on a cold day. It is more breathable than Gore Tex. I have a Gore WS pullover from Honig's, and it's great. Just don't expect it to be waterproof as it isn't and it's not supposed to be either.

I had one of these once, and it was ok, but not really what I'd call waterproof. More water resistable than then Windstopper though:

Anyone tried this??
Don't know if either of those is what I picked up by CliffKleen, but what I did pick up sux.

Was in Billings, MT last year and hit the Universal Athletic store, they had CK shirts which were "lined" so I picked it up. Had to go from an XL to an 2X for it to fit.

It's like wearing one of those wrestling plastic-suits-while-you-run-to-shed-4-pounds shirts! It may keep the rain out but my shirt underneath weighs 15lbs when I take it off! You sweat more than Boy George eating a corn dog.

I'm going to get through this season with it then grab up a gore-tex from Honigs. Why didn't I go to Honigs to begin with???

WM
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have one of
WBNFL Long Sleeved EpicĀ® Lined Weatherbeater

Living in Seattle it rains alot and this is the best one I have found. Will tell you that if the sun comes it does get warm. You also have to upsize at least one if not two sizes
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

I sweat so bad in Texas heat, I can't imagine being any wetter in rain, so I'll wear whatever I need to wear for the temp. I think UA has about the best stuff around for various weather conditions, and I've looked at most or all of them.

Occasionally, we get a cold wind blow through here before, say, October 15, but its almost always short sleeves until then -- at the least. Some guys I talked to wore their long sleeves only once last year, including playoffs into December. I wore shorts to Texas Stadium for a HS playoff game (spectator) 2 years ago in very late November. It was probably 40-45 degrees or so. I had a wind jacket on, and only got cold after I drank a coke!

It takes a lot to freeze me out of anything.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

WyMike,

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Windstopper stuff from Honig's, but remember, it's NOT Gore Tex so it is NOT waterproof.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dommer1

Anyone tried this??
I wore this last year, it was hot, kept the heat in but produced sweat. Did not get cold until 2nd half! I will wear it again this year but will take an extra l/s shirt for 2nd half to change.