The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Had a clear case of assisting the runner last friday night. A75 grabbed the rb (A32) AT THE b-36, and literally spun him and propelled him another 10 yards. He fell down from the spin at the B-23. So the flag is thrown, and we mark off the 5 yds. My question: why is this not a LOD penality. Not only did the offense gain a net of 8 yards as a result of the play, it was still 1st down.

Is a LOD for this too harsh a penalty?

Thanks!
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you make this a loss of down? If the running back gets to where he gets and then gets assited. You enforce it from there so I don't really see why you think this penalty isn't equitable. He would have gotten the first down if assiting the runner didn't occur anyways.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

The Fed rules are designed to simple. Thus, there are not many loss of down fouls.

Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Had a clear case of assisting the runner last friday night. A75 grabbed the rb (A32) AT THE b-36, and literally spun him and propelled him another 10 yards. He fell down from the spin at the B-23. So the flag is thrown, and we mark off the 5 yds. My question: why is this not a LOD penality. Not only did the offense gain a net of 8 yards as a result of the play, it was still 1st down.

Is a LOD for this too harsh a penalty?

Thanks!
The only thing I'm not clear on is that you say that the offense gained a net of 8 yards by doing this. I think the penalty should be enforced from the spot of the foul, in this case B's 36, the spot of the foul since it is behind the end of the run. But from the description, I'm not totally sure that you did not mark off the penalty from B's 23.

Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He gained 8 yards because you enforced the penalty from the wrong spot. The foul was at the B36, not at the B23. The spot of the foul is behind the basic spot, so the foul is penalized from the B36.

That's your goof.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
He gained 8 yards because you enforced the penalty from the wrong spot. The foul was at the B36, not at the B23. The spot of the foul is behind the basic spot, so the foul is penalized from the B36.

That's your goof.
No we did not. I did not put in all the info: Setting the satge:
1/10 for A from B-49. Runner gets to the B-36 (13 yard gain) where the assist runner happens. He spins downto the B-23. We enforced the 5 yards from the B-36. That put the ball on the B-41 for a 1st and 2 from B-41. Thus, the "net gain" of 8 yards. It just did not seem equal to both teams at the time. Now, it does. A lost a 13 yard run (+ 5yds- foul) but it was till first down. That was the questionable part.

Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. You didn't goof!

As for the 8 yards, he gained those 8 yards without the benefit of a foul and is entitled to them.

Change the play:

There's a 5 yard face mask foul on the runner at the 36 yardline for grabbing a facemask on a stiffarm. The result is the same. Mrk off 5 from the spot of the foul, he gained the 8 yards without benefit of the foul. He's entitled to them.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith