The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keystoneref
Almost this exact play is in the casebook. 4.2.3 pg 32. K's ball 4th and 12 on R's 45 yard line. K8's punt is rolling on R's 16 when an inadvertant whistle sounds. R76 blocks K84 in the back on R's 22 yrd line during the down prior to the whistle. Ruling: If the penalty is accepted, the foul negates the inadvertant whistle and results in a previous spot enforcement. If the penalty is declined, the inadvertant whistle during a loose ball dictates a replay the down.
Another FED inconsistency.

I have to thank keystoneref for doing my research for me. I was not looking at that new casebook play. I was looking at 10.4.3 situation F.

Now, please tell me ... who is in team possession at the time the ball became dead in 10.4.3.F? For a scrimmage kick, who is in team possession when the kick goes out of bounds between the goal lines? Who is in team possession when the ball is at rest and is touched by K? What makes these different from an inadvertent whistle? These occurrences all appear in the same rule - 4-2-2.

4.2.3 Situation F is a bad ruling, inconsistent with similar situations. But who am I to complain? It's typical of the FED, and I should be used to it by now!

Sigh.
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

4.2.3 SitF: a bad ruling??
Guys we got to get over this hangup and just do what IW provisions require an official to do during a loose ball play..
Either decline the penalty and replay the down or accept the penalty and enforce from the PS.

PSK thoughts are out the window as an IW effectively negates PSK. There is no inconsistency here, it's just an unfortunate result of the IW.
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

possession of a kick...

2.32.2 A ball in team possession is a live ball which is in player possession or one which is loose following loss of such player possession. A live ball is always in possession of a team.

2005 Rule book page 51 - Section 4 Summary of scrimmage kick and free-kick activities.

(about half way down the page)

NOTE: K is in team possession during a kick. A kick ends when a player gains possession or when the ball becomes dead by rule. R gains possession of the ball when a player of R catches or recovers the live ball.

Then in the same table...

Kick not recovered by either team belongs to R.
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Just read the whole thread, and the NO PSK argument is much better than the PSK, and I would also agree that it is NO PSK.