The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Had this situation in an 8th grade game recently:

A's ball 2nd and goal at B's 6 yard line. B notices that they have only 10 defensive players. So as A is coming to the line and after the ready for play, B11 runs onto the field. He doesn't make it to his side of the line before the snap.

B2 runs 6 yards for a touchdown.

My partner flags it, calls offside (actually encroachment, there is no "offside" anymore, right?) and A declines it and takes the touchdown.

I ask my partner, "Isn't that a dead-ball foul?" He says, "No."

Now, if it's encroachment, doesn't it have to be a dead-ball foul (no play, no touchdown)? And if it's a substitution infraction, isn't it also a dead-ball foul?

A won by 34 points, so it was not the biggest deal in the world. But if it happens again, I want to make sure I get the call correct. What do y'all think?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

it is illegal participation and is enforced from the spot that you noticed the infraction (where the flag is)

this could be a sticky situation.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 08:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

A will decline B's Illegal Substitution foul and accept the touchdown.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelpr
it is illegal participation and is enforced from the spot that you noticed the infraction (where the flag is)

michaelpr, this is not an IP foul, it is an IS foul. It is IP if he enters after the snap, but if he enters before the snap and is not on "his" side of the NZ, it is IS. See 3-7-5 in rule book, and 3.7.6 in case book.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelpr

michaelpr, this is not an IP foul, it is an IS foul. It is IP if he enters after the snap, but if he enters before the snap and is not on "his" side of the NZ, it is IS. See 3-7-5 in rule book, and 3.7.6 in case book.
Agree with MJT. It is also a live ball foul, so the score stands if A declines.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Live ball foul for illegal substitution (one of the two instances that you can have live ball illegal substitution if I'm not mistaken).

A good way to remember that this is not encroachment is that he's technically not a "player" until he is on his team's side of the neutral zone. Thus, it's a live ball illegal substitution.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Had this situation in an 8th grade game recently:

A's ball 2nd and goal at B's 6 yard line. B notices that they have only 10 defensive players. So as A is coming to the line and after the ready for play, B11 runs onto the field. He doesn't make it to his side of the line before the snap.

B2 runs 6 yards for a touchdown.
How did B2 run only 6 yards for a TD? Seems to me that B2 woulda had to have run 94 after picking up a fumble or making an interception or something.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Sorry. A2 ran for the touchdown. It was late, I was tired.

So live ball foul was correct. The "offside" call was incorrect? Should have been illegal substitution?

We also had a 15-yard face mask at the 20 going in and my partner wanted to mark it off down to the five yard line, so I just wanted to check to make sure.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Half the distance on the face mask penalty, ball on 10 yard line.

Agree with MJT, IS, live ball, TD is good after penalty is refused.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

But didn't B foul on a scoring play by A where there was no change of possession? The score for A stands and the penalty for IS is enforced on the try.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

If he tries to participate after entering it becomes illegal participation, right?
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
But didn't B foul on a scoring play by A where there was no change of possession? The score for A stands and the penalty for IS is enforced on the try.
We have a winner!
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
If he tries to participate after entering it becomes illegal participation, right?
Yes - he's a substitute until he gets to his side of the neutral zone, and substitutes may not participate.
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
if this is a live ball penalty, why would the enforcement be from the previous spot as stated in 3.7.6 of the case book and not from the end of the run? that is really not penalizing the defense as much as it should be.
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
if this is a live ball penalty, why would the enforcement be from the previous spot as stated in 3.7.6 of the case book and not from the end of the run? that is really not penalizing the defense as much as it should be.
It's a foul simultaneous with the snap; all such fouls are penalized from the previous spot.