Thread: Too Few Players
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 09:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb

I would not tell a coach how many players are on the field, but a statement like "Count your players" is the best approach. Direct it to either the captain, coach or nearest player if you're far from the other two. This gives them time to either call a timeout or to get the last player on the field before it's illegal to do so.

Once the play is over, I might tell the captain or coach that he "was missing a tight end," or "you were one short on that play coach" or what have you. I especially do this when a score was made, because the coach then knows that had he had the proper number of players on the field, things could have been different.

I've even spoken up for players when getting reemed by their coaches for allowing the TD. If I'm around, I jump in and tell the coach, with the player nearby, that he only had 11 on the field, "he was short a player." Hopefully the kid feels better after that.

As mentioned, the key is to treat each team, coach, and player the same.

In games with younger players, I might tell a mention that there are only 10 or 11 before the snap.

There are always exceptions. I'm WH in an OVFL game and the visitors are getting thumped. The finally score a TD with 2-3 minutes left in the game, to make it 30-6. They were confused with personnel and had 13 on the field for the PAT attempt. Clearly, someone had to leave. I picked the guy closest to their sideline, and told him to leave. I said, "#10, leave the field. Just go." Presumably not knowing why, his teammate says, "Go, go off." #10 looks confused, but does leave. Sure enough, the snap comes and the PAT is good. Coach thanked me for that one. I suppose it's possible to "mis-count" in some blowout games, but not in the OVFL.