The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

This ocurred last night at Little Guy and I'm on the wing.

Third and five on A's 30 yard line. A1 hands off to A2. A6 is flagged for holding on the LOS and A2 is tackled at A's 40 yard line inbounds on my wing just inside the sideline.

I sound the whistle for A2 being downed, give the start clock signal to indicate inbound status and then give stop the clock signal for line to gain being reached. At this point B9 hits A2 whom is on the ground, not flagrantly but a couple of seconds after I sound the whistle so I drop a flag for the late hit.

How do you enforce?

WM

EDITED: Changed A9 to B9. Holding on LOS.

[Edited by WyMike on Sep 1st, 2005 at 12:28 PM]
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: A9 hit A2 and you dropped a flag?? Did you mean to say B9? If so, take care of the hold first. Then address the dead ball foul. Don't ever take a dead ball foul and combine it with a llive ball foul to create either a multiple or double foul. They each exist on their own merits.

If you indeed meant that A9 hit A2, don't drop the flag but give a little talk to A9 about how he might have injured his teammate. And inform the coach when you get the chance.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Mike- you don't tell us where the hold by A6 occured. If the hold by A6 is behind the basic spot, you will penalize 10 yards from the spot of the foul. If the hold is at or in advance of the basic spot (end of the run) you will penalize from the end of the run. You then say A9 hits A2 late, I think this is a typo and you meant to say B9 hit A2 late. If this is the case you will then penalize B9's late hit 15 yards from the succeding spot. The location of the first foul will determine if you will have enough yardage after the penalties to reach the line to gain. If you have reached the line to gain it will be 1st and 10 for A. If you haven't reached the line to gain it will be a repeat of 3rd down and ? yards.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I assume you meant B9 hit A2 late.

Bob M. is correct, live ball foul penalized from the spot of A6's hold. Then B is penalized fifteen yards.

Depending upon the spot of A6's hold will determine the next down, most likely, given the play and the 10-yard penalty you would replay the down. However, the fact that B will be penalized 15-yards, that would give A first and ten.

What would have been interesting is if it was fourth down and A did not reach the line to gain. Then B would have had the opportunity to decline the holding penalty and take the ball. Of course, B would get the ball after being penalized 15 yards.

Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

So, now that the details are set:

Assess A 10 yards from the spot of the hold (which is behind the basic spot, the end of the run). Result: A 3/15 @ A20.

Now assess B 15 yards from the succeeding spot for the late hit. Result: A 1/10 @ A35. (first down results from reaching line to gain - it is not automatic as in college)

Clocked stopped only because of apparent first down, so wind on the ready.