The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

It's already started. Two guys on my crew subbed for another crew a night ago. Right off the bat they had coaches yelling that the opposition's players were outside the 9 yard marks (after breaking the huddle and moving out into their formation)and should be flagged. Has anyone else run into this yet?
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

NO, They were inside the 9 yard mark for a period of time between the RFP and the snap so they are OK
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Not only has no one complained about it yet. I worked 4 games this weekend and we had probably a few situations that could have been penalties by the technical interpretations of this rule. No one said a thing on any of these situations. Either the coaches do not know the new rule or they are not making an issue out of it. I will say this, some of the coaches in my games this weekend had bigger issues to deal with like keeping their players onsides and getting a player to not make dumb mistakes after the play is over.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Called first game this year substituting on a different crew for an 8-man game and field had no marks at all. Problem is there is nothing in the rule book that addresses this issue for 8-man fields either.

But with the final score being 64-28 and a heat index of 114 degrees at kickoff, it wouldnt have made a big difference anyway, both teams huddled in midfield all night.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
Called first game this year substituting on a different crew for an 8-man game and field had no marks at all. Problem is there is nothing in the rule book that addresses this issue for 8-man fields either.

But with the final score being 64-28 and a heat index of 114 degrees at kickoff, it wouldnt have made a big difference anyway, both teams huddled in midfield all night.
My state says 8-man fields have 7 yard marks instead of 9. Are you the same?
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Had a head coach on Friday ask about the new rule prior to the game starting. I showed him the marks and explained the rule and he was thankful for the help. Good game, 2 OT.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

[My state says 8-man fields have 7 yard marks instead of 9. Are you the same? [/B][/QUOTE]

The 8 player fields are supposed to have 7 yard marks instead of 9 yard marks.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

The only comment I have had from a coach in the two varsity games we had was when we told him his players could line up outside the 9 yard marks. He was very happy with that. They had been practicing all week with all the players inside the marks.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe Man
The only comment I have had from a coach in the two varsity games we had was when we told him his players could line up outside the 9 yard marks. He was very happy with that. They had been practicing all week with all the players inside the marks.
OIYE! That's ridiculous.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I will say this, some of the coaches in my games this weekend had bigger issues to deal with like keeping their players onsides and getting a player to not make dumb mistakes after the play is over.

Peace
Like how about this...a varsity game with 34 penalties in the 1st half. 46 total for the game. 3 INTs, 4 lost fumbles, an ejection, and a conference with coaches and captains early in the 3rd quarter to discuss sportsmanship issues.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe Man
I hope you clarified with him that they could AFTER the RFP.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ

My state says 8-man fields have 7 yard marks instead of 9. Are you the same?
Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
[My state says 8-man fields have 7 yard marks instead of 9. Are you the same?
The 8 player fields are supposed to have 7 yard marks instead of 9 yard marks. [/B][/QUOTE]

From what I have heard, South Dakota is placing 7-yard marks on the field on their own. The fed rule has not changed. It is in the back of the rules book, behind the overtime procedures, under 9-man, 8-man, and 6-man rules differences. It is under rule 7b. It is still 12 yards from the ball. If a field you are working 8-man has the marks then you may want to use them for reference because if your state has not adopted them then you don't have any rule to back you up if you call IF when the player was outside the marks but within 12 yards.