The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

A’s ball 1st and 10 at the 50. Quarterback A12 drops back to pass. Defensive Tackle B74 inadvertently grabs A12’s facemask at A’s 40 yard line. A12 then: 1) Throws an incomplete pass, 2) Throws and interception that is returned by B41 for a touchdown, or 3) Throws a completion to A88 who is tackled at B’s 25 yard line.

What is the proper administration, and resulting down and distance for each situation?
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

A’s ball 1st and 10 at the 50. Quarterback A12 drops back to pass. Defensive Tackle B74 inadvertently grabs A12’s facemask at A’s 40 yard line. A12 then: 1) Throws an incomplete pass, 2) Throws and interception that is returned by B41 for a touchdown, or 3) Throws a completion to A88 who is tackled at B’s 25 yard line.

What is the proper administration, and resulting down and distance for each situation?

REPLY: For Federation, all three situations occurred during a loose ball play, i.e. the runs that preceded the legal forward pass by A12. Hence, for all three situations, the penalty would be assessed from the previous spot. In situation (c), A will most likely decline the penalty.

For NCAA, Same results, except that these fouls are deemed to have occurred during a forward pass play. NCAA rules don’t have a loose ball play.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

That is the way I would enforce as well. Basic spot is the previous spot in all situations. I had an experienced official tell me that I should add the penalty to the end of the play and I wanted to get different perspectives to be certain I enforce correctly if play occurs in a game.

This is a great place to post situations and get feedback to help keep you straight. My instincts were correct, but it is always good to get reassurance.

Thanks again.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

If it were roughing the passer the penalty would be enforced from the end of the last run. In your instance with inadvertant face mask Bob M is correct. This is one of those times that it is good to get together and communicate out on the field to make sure the enforcment is correct.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

There is a great article in the August 2005 Referee magazine, page 19, on the "All-But-One" principle; written by Rogers Redding. This has helped me get a more solid grasp on team fouls.