View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: warrenkicker...now I get your point. We don't get the NF Official's Manual here so I wasn't aware of that inconsistency.

Let me offer this for your consideration: Most systems do not distinguish between receivers on or off the line since by and large it really shouldn't matter. Also, since the BJ is about twenty yards from the LOS, he may not be in an optimal position to determine which strong-side receiver (if any) is the end. Yes, he could look at the wing's punch-back signal, but for what real purpose. I understand the Fed's desire to have consistency (no exceptions) but isn't it just as consistent--and far easier to determine--for the BJ to take the inside guy whether he's on the line or off? Another reason why this key assignment is so widely accepted is this: Let's assume we're using the Fed's system. What if the split end is very close to the sideline and on his initial move off the line steps toward the sideline to avoid the defender who's playing head-up on him. What kind of position is the BJ in to determine whether or not he might have inadvertently stepped OOB? Not a very good one, in my opinion. But it's his call since the wing is probably concentrating on an inside eligible as his key.