The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

There is a question on Part 1 regarding whether the runner can 'spear'.

Outside of the fact I'd be hardpressed to make a spearing call on a runner putting his head down to bull his way through a LB, I can't find a definitive ruling on it.

Tonight at our assoc. meeting rule 2.39 was mentioned. "The intentional use of the helmet to punish an opponet."

I can't find a specific ruling deeming this is only for the D.

If a blocking lineman "butt-blocks" it is a foul. If the D leads with his head, it is a foul. Isn't a running back lowering his head and leading with it to "punish" a LB covered by the definition of "spearing".

Can someone point me to a rule?

WM

Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 10:01pm
Chain of Fools

RB spearing

At our state clinic, the director advised that "A" can be called for illegal helmet contact just as "B". The act of an RB intentionally making initial contact with his helmet was mentioned as to be called as a foul.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
There is a question on Part 1 regarding whether the runner can 'spear'.

Outside of the fact I'd be hardpressed to make a spearing call on a runner putting his head down to bull his way through a LB, I can't find a definitive ruling on it.

Tonight at our assoc. meeting rule 2.39 was mentioned. "The intentional use of the helmet to punish an opponet."

I can't find a specific ruling deeming this is only for the D.

If a blocking lineman "butt-blocks" it is a foul. If the D leads with his head, it is a foul. Isn't a running back lowering his head and leading with it to "punish" a LB covered by the definition of "spearing".

Can someone point me to a rule?

WM
Yes, it is spearing. The rule makes no distinction between offensive or defensive players. You have to exercise some good judgment before making this call. The helmet contact could have been caused by the linebacker’s movement. If the contact is in the vicinity of the LOS I doubt that I would make that call. But if this happened in the open field and the running back veered into the LB deliberately and contacted him with the helmet to punish him, the running back has earned a 15 yard penalty.

WM

Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Check out the casebook - 9.4.3 D.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Rule Reference

Try Rule 9-4-3i and 9-4-3 Situation D. (a) in the Case Book.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy Taylor
Spearing

I agree with Dale, he has definitely earn the 15 yards and must be paid. We as officials should try to use good judgement and communication with fellow crew members can make it an easy call because more than likely at least two of us saw that play. I don't see a problem with a delayed flag or waving a flag off after talking with other crew members.