The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 10:47pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Question

QB throws a pick in the endzone, WR drills DB as DB returns to ground (leaping INT) jarring ball loose, offense recovers in endzone. Would this be a TD or a touchback? Would it depend on what the DB tried to do after he returned to the ground?

I am looking for the NCAA ruling, but follow ups with NFHS rulings would be appreciated.

[Edited by w_sohl on Aug 18th, 2005 at 08:35 PM]
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
QB throws a pick in the endzone, LB drills DB as DB returns to ground (leaping INT) jarring ball loose, offense recovers in endzone. Would this be a TD or a touchback? Would it depend on what the DB tried to do after he returned to the ground?

I am looking for the NCAA ruling, but follow ups with NFHS rulings would be appreciated.
Fed Answer

In my minds eye, I see the ball coming loose just as he touches the ground. If that is the case, I've got an incomplete pass. However, if the catch is ruled completed, this is a fumble. If A recovers a fumble in B's end zone, it is a touchdown. (8-2-1b). It does not matter what defender tries to do.

It is NOT a touchback because the ball did not become dead in the end zone in B's possession. (8-5-3d)

Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 09:44am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
The reason I was asking is because obviously if he were to not get tackled in the endzone he would have taken a knee withthe proximity of the WRs and such.

A silly reason for me to ask the question, I was playing NCAA 2006 and I threw a pick in the endzone only to be fumbled by the DB and I recovered for a TD. (I drew the play up that way)
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

In order to have a catch, the player has to grasp the ball and return to the ground. If you have a catch, then you have fumble and a TD. If you don't have a catch, then it is an incomplete pass. The way I am reading the play, the loss of the ball is simultaneous to returning to the ground and therefore not a catch.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

No cheap touchdowns, no cheap catches, this is an incomplete pass, imo.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
QB throws a pick in the endzone, LB drills DB as DB returns to ground (leaping INT) jarring ball loose, offense recovers in endzone. Would this be a TD or a touchback? Would it depend on what the DB tried to do after he returned to the ground?
I'll agree with everyone else - it sounds like this is no catch. My personal guideline (which I think I got from someone on this board) is: Would it be a catch at the 50?

If this is ruled as a catch, then we have a TD under all rule sets that I know of - the INT does not, in and of itself, make the ball dead.

My question is this: Why is the LB drilling his teammate?
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Quote:
My question is this: Why is the LB drilling his teammate?
That is an excellent question. Could it have anything to do with a member of the cheerleading squad??