The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question

So we were told at our association's first meeting on Tuesday that we should have the "Twin City" style socks, which are normal 3-stripe socks, but somehow different. "Don't worry, they'll know what you're talking about when you order them." Except, of course, that after poking about on-line a bunch, I still have no idea what the difference is. Anyone here know?
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

No clue, never heard of them called that before. All I know is their are two types of socks, two stripe and three stripe, then there are two types of those, one's that are straight and one's that have the angle sewn in them! _
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Google :)

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...22+socks&meta=
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

You must be from New York. The state is mandating that all officials wear the same brand socks if you can believe that.

For uniform appearance. I guess the different brands of socks have a slightly different look to them. No mention of the variation in everyone's leg size.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I've got mutiple types and I think the TC socks have less white showing at the ankle area.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 05:03pm
tpaul

Wink

wow, so they what everybody to buy from the same company? LOL
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMcCarthy
You must be from New York. The state is mandating that all officials wear the same brand socks if you can believe that.

For uniform appearance. I guess the different brands of socks have a slightly different look to them. No mention of the variation in everyone's leg size.
Indeed I am. I did look on Google, but I had assumed that they weren't specifying an exact brand - it sounded like a style.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Twin City is a brand, not a specific vendor. Many places sell TC socks. Their tube socks have the black higher than many other brands but the socks with the heels are lower as Tom stated. I like their tube socks but haven't been able to find them in a couple of years.

I can't blame an association for requiring the same sock. The next time you look at a picture of a crew, look at the socks. You'll probably see multiple styles which would include the black starting closer to the ankle, different widths of stripes and different widths of black.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Aug 12th, 2005 at 11:00 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Like anyone else playing/coaching/or watching
the game can tell or cares what style sox the
crew is wearing !!!??
Hats,shirts,and pants--yes--maybe--
but sox and shoes ??
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I don't do things because players, coaches or fans care. Our crew usually buys a couple of pairs each of the same type of sock each season. We do this because we want to look our best. You don't see NFL or D1 crews wearing seven different styles of socks.

To each his own.

Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

If it's the Twin City socks, it means they are worn out after half a season, much like the Gophers and the Vikings.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

My crew makes up for the difference in the width of stripes or how close the black is to the shoe by putting on a pair of white ankle socks over the tube socks ($5:00 for 6 pair at Walmart). It also helps to protect the tube socks from getting so dirty on muddy fields.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
My crew makes up for the difference in the width of stripes or how close the black is to the shoe by putting on a pair of white ankle socks over the tube socks ($5:00 for 6 pair at Walmart). It also helps to protect the tube socks from getting so dirty on muddy fields.
If the black on my socks starts 6 inches from the top of my shoes and the black on your socks starts 3 inches from your shoe, how are ankle socks going to help?

Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

If your black starts 6 inches above the shoe I will tell you bought lacrosse socks and not football. Just kidding.

I am more inclined to believe that someone is getting a monetary kickback by mandating the specific use of only TC socks. Follow the money!!!

In 25 years I have not seen a football sock where the black starts that high. Every football sock I have ever purchased (post stirrup era excluded) the ankle socks were high enough.

If the black of the your TC socks starts that high the stripes would end above your knee. Maybe you got a pair made for someone with a size 22 shoe or someone sold you a "blemished" pair (with or without telling you). Maybe you are only 3'10" tall.

I only made the suggestion to be creative.

If your local or state association is worried about the mathematical proportionality of how much white and black shows for every size of individual then they are administrators who are "educated beyond their intelligence".

Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone make socks that go this high?