The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

By NFHS rules, after a safety, the team making the free kick must either do a "punt style" kick, or they may have a place holder hold the ball for the kicker. BOttom line, they can't kick it off the tee.

My question is, do they have this option in the NCAA and NFL as well?
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Where are you seeing that you cannot use a tee on a free kick after a safety in NF? From everything I know, and can find the books, it is legal to use a tee in NF, and NCAA. I don't have a recent "differences" book, but the 2002 one I have here says a tee can be used in NF and NCAA for a free kick after safety. I don't think that has changed.

No tee can be used in the NFL, rule 11-4-3.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jrfath
Where in the rulebook does it say a free kick after a safety can not be off of a tee?

A tee may be used for a free kick following a safety. The ball can be punted, or drop-kicked as well.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I know of no restriction with regard to using a tee after a safety. The rule says that a free kick or punt can be used. Tees can be used with all free kicks.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrfath
Where in the rulebook does it say a free kick after a safety can not be off of a tee?

A tee may be used for a free kick following a safety. The ball can be punted, or drop-kicked as well.
OK, I stand corrected abou the TEE. What's the difference between punting and drop kicking?

And tell me this please....After a safety, even if the ball's on a tee, doesn't there have to be someone holding the ball on it? You can't just kick it off like you do after a TD or at the beginning of either half can you?

Still, no one has answered my original question.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

MJT did answer your question. NFL - punt required after safety. NCAA and NF - punt or free kick allowed. No holder required. Kickoff from standard kickoff tee.

The difference between a punt and a drop kick is that a punt never touches the ground prior to being kicked. A drop kick touches the ground before or as being kicked.

2-23-3 A free-kick is any legal kick which puts the ball in play to start a free-kick down. After the ready-for-play signal and before the kick, each player other than the kicker and holder for a place kick must be behind his free-kick line. A free-kick is used for a kickoff, for a kick following a safety, and is used if a free-kick is chosen following a fair catch or awarded fair catch.
ART. 4 A scrimmage kick is any legal kick from in or behind the neutral zone. Either a place kick, punt, or drop kick may be used. For a place kick, the ball must be controlled on the ground or on a legal kicking tee by a teammate.
ART. 5 A kickoff is a free-kick which puts the ball in play at the beginning of each half of the game, after a successful field goal and after any try. A place kick or a drop kick shall be used for the kickoff.
ART. 6 A drop kick is a legal kick by a player who drops the ball and kicks it when it touches the ground or as it is rising from the ground. A drop kick may be used for a scrimmage kick, a kickoff, a free-kick following a safety or for a free-kick following a fair catch or awarded fair catch.
ART. 7 A place kick is a legal kick made while the ball is in a fixed position on the ground or on a kicking tee. No material or device may be placed on the ground to improve the kicker’s footing. The ball also may be held in position on the ground or on a kicking tee by a place-kick holder who shall be a teammate of the kicker. A place kick may be used for a scrimmage kick, a kickoff, a free-kick following a safety or for a free-kick following a fair catch or awarded fair catch.
ART. 8 A punt is a legal kick by a player who drops the ball and kicks it before it has touched the ground. A punt may be used for a free-kick following a safety or for a scrimmage kick.

So a scrimmage kick which is not a punt or drop kick must be controlled by another player either on a tee or on the ground.