View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJDonaldson

Hi all. My name is Mike and I am a first year football official. I have joined the MBFO (Maryland Board of Football Officials) and my first meeting is next Monday. Does anyone have any words of advice?? I am extremely excited, yet can't help but having a bit of nervousness. I love the game of football and miss being around the sport.

Anyway, just know I will probably be posting a lot trying to soak up as much information as possible. Also, is there anyone who is from Maryland and currently an official?? Lastly, does anyone know of a good website to go to so that I can begin studying prior to my first meeting on the 25th??

Thanks everyone.
Welcome Mike! This is a great place to ask questions and learn. I think you will find a lot of people here who are willing to help.

Collective advice for a new person always seems to be read rule 2. Once you've done that, read rule 2 again. After the 2nd time, read rule 2 again. If you become extremely familiar with the definitions, you can better grasp the remaining rules.

The definitions have an exact and fixed meaning and those exact and fixed meanings apply throughout the rest of the rulebook when those defined terms are used again.

I also would recommend you try to work as many games as possible in your first year at whatever level you can get. The more snaps, the more things become clear.

Good luck and hoping you stick with this more than two years