The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Anyone with NFL rules knowledge, I need some help.

I am a little confused as to when to start the clock after a penalty using NFL rules. Does the clock ALWAYS start on the RFP (except last 2 minutes of 1st half and last 5 minutes of 2nd half), or does what occcured during the down have an impact on when to start the clock.

Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

If it will help the Rams, start it on the ready, otherwise, start it on the snap. This will make up for all the unfair calls they endured in the Super Bowl.

Oops - I was channeling RamTime there for a second.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
If it will help the Rams, start it on the ready, otherwise, start it on the snap. This will make up for all the unfair calls they endured in the Super Bowl.

LOL
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

I am a little confused as to when to start the clock after a penalty using NFL rules. Does the clock ALWAYS start on the RFP (except last 2 minutes of 1st half and last 5 minutes of 2nd half), or does what occcured during the down have an impact on when to start the clock.

Yes, rule 4-3-d-note states "If the game clock was stopped for a foul by either team (whether penalty is acc or decl) it will be started when the ball is declared RFP; except when the foul occured after the 2 min warning of the 1st half, or the lat 5 minutes of 2nd half, in which case it starts on the snap."

That is a rule I like as well.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli

LOL
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 05:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:

Yes, rule 4-3-d-note states "If the game clock was stopped for a foul by either team (whether penalty is acc or decl) it will be started when the ball is declared RFP; except when the foul occured after the 2 min warning of the 1st half, or the lat 5 minutes of 2nd half, in which case it starts on the snap."

How interesting that this is exactly the Canadian timing rule. (Except that instead of 2 and 5, we use 3 and 3.)
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:

Speaking of resurrecting old posts, I don't think the response completely answered the original question. What happens during the down does have an impact on when to start the clock. Let's look at Rule 3, Sec 36 Art 1- A time out is an interval during which the game clock is stopped (4-3-1) and includes the intermissions (4-1-1 to 6). The following note is added: the term time out (general) is not to be confused with a charged team time out, which is specific. Rule 4-3-1 lists yhe various time outs referred to in Rule 3, ie., out of bounds, touchback, incomplete pass, end of period, change of possession, etc. This is not the complete list but you get the idea. Rule 4-3-2 states "except for a free kick, follollowing any timeout (3-36), the game clock shall be started when the ball is next snapped". However, there are two exceptions. (1)If the game clock was stopped for a foul. (2) Except on a change of possession, a runner goes out of bounds on a play from scrimmage. In these two instances the clock starts on the ready for play except in the last two minutes of the first half or the last five minutes of the second half. You do have to consider what caused the clock to stop in determining if it starts on the snap or ready for play. You only apply the exceptions if the only reason the clock stopped was because of the foul or runner out of bounds.