The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Someone in another thread made a reference (forget which thread) that seemed to indicate that to have a simultaneous catch that both players must complete the catch at the same time (meaning airborne players hit the ground together). From the comment on page 55 that's not quite true which leads me to think of what would be an extremely difficult ruling to explain to a coach.

A's ball 1st and goal. A1 and B1 both airborne and over the endzone area and near the sideline have the ball in their grasp. A1's feet hit the ground first then B1's feet hit. A1's feet hit in the endzone followed by B1's feet which hit the sideline. Ruling? Based on this revised ruling and comment on page 55 it's an incomplete pass. Seems like a tough sell to me but definitelly the correct call from what I can tell. Anyone disagree?
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I agree. Difficult to explain to the coach, but that's the rule as I understand it. Page 55 in the NF case book has that exact scenario. Incomplete pass.

Rule 2.4.3 says a simultaneous catch or recovery is a catch or recovery in which there is joint possesion of a live ball by opposing players who are INBOUNDS.
So, if they are not both inbounds you do not have a simultaneous catch. If both players appear to possess the ball equally, incomplete pass.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

As I read it, for it to be a simultaneous catch, both players must possess the ball, and they both must touch the ground inbounds.

If airborne A1 and B1 both gain possession of the ball, B1 then comes down in bounds, A1 then comes down in bounds, it will be a simultaneous catch. The ball is awarded to A1 at its' location when the simultaneous catch was completed and the ball is dead.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Someone in another thread made a reference (forget which thread) that seemed to indicate that to have a simultaneous catch that both players must complete the catch at the same time (meaning airborne players hit the ground together).
I believe this is the NCAA rule.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Mike is correct...the requirement that both airborne players hit the ground together in order to rule a simultaneous catch is an NCAA rule. If one player hits the ground before the other, the player first touching the ground is considered to have completed the catch.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

In Ljudge's example then, this would therefore be a TD as A1 came down in the EZ first. Disagreements?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Ok, hear me out on this. In order for a player to have possession, he should have control of the ball. In order have control, the player should have the ball secured AND be considered inbounds, correct? (According to possession, catch, and inbounds definitions in both NFHS and NCAA books). An inbounds player becomes out of bounds when he comes in contact with the sideline/end line. Contacting an official or other player on our outside these lines DOES NOT cause a player to be considered out of bounds.

With that said, I don't think you have a simultaneous catch in this scenario according to either NFHS or NCAA. Since A came down inbounds and it is determined that he has control and possession of the ball, then it would be a touchdown. Now, because B is touching the ball, would the negate control and possession by A?

That's where it gets a little gray. Touching is not possessing. If B is considered to be possessing the ball equally with A, then incomplete in NFHS and NCAA. In either code, landing inbounds is necessary for it to be considered a simultaneous catch. Both players need to be in possession of the ball, otherwise, if B is merely touching the ball, I don't think you have a simultaneous catch. I think A would have completed the catch prior to B contacting the out of bounds line, A would be awarded a touchdown because the ball would become dead prior to B touching the ball when B was out of bounds. I hope that makes sense.

Now if B comes down first out of bounds, that's an easy call- incomplete.