View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Ok, hear me out on this. In order for a player to have possession, he should have control of the ball. In order have control, the player should have the ball secured AND be considered inbounds, correct? (According to possession, catch, and inbounds definitions in both NFHS and NCAA books). An inbounds player becomes out of bounds when he comes in contact with the sideline/end line. Contacting an official or other player on our outside these lines DOES NOT cause a player to be considered out of bounds.

With that said, I don't think you have a simultaneous catch in this scenario according to either NFHS or NCAA. Since A came down inbounds and it is determined that he has control and possession of the ball, then it would be a touchdown. Now, because B is touching the ball, would the negate control and possession by A?

That's where it gets a little gray. Touching is not possessing. If B is considered to be possessing the ball equally with A, then incomplete in NFHS and NCAA. In either code, landing inbounds is necessary for it to be considered a simultaneous catch. Both players need to be in possession of the ball, otherwise, if B is merely touching the ball, I don't think you have a simultaneous catch. I think A would have completed the catch prior to B contacting the out of bounds line, A would be awarded a touchdown because the ball would become dead prior to B touching the ball when B was out of bounds. I hope that makes sense.

Now if B comes down first out of bounds, that's an easy call- incomplete.