View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
One of the things I have the most trouble with is consistently getting a number of the fouling player on live ball fouls, where I need to keep following the play. Somewhat ironically, when I first started officiating I didn't have this problem. Instead, I tended to keep my focus on the fouling player until I definitely got his number. Trouble was, I sometimes missed several seconds of action as the play was continuing. Now, I have overcompensated to make sure I'm following the rest of the play.

What techniques do you guys use to help see/remember a fouling player's number, while continuing to follow the play?

The most important thing is to keep officiating after the foul. On most plays you can get the number, but if as a result of the play does not allow you to, it is not the end of the world. I would say may be once a game or two it may be difficult to get the number, but if not more than that, you need to be more cognizant of the fouling player. One thing you can do is if you do not get it right away, as you continue officiating, try to pay attention to the fouling player in your peripheral vision until the play ends and then look back to get his number. Another thing is if you can get one of the numbers, and kind of know what his position was, which can again help you after the play.

Whatever you do, DO NOT make up a number if you are not sure. It seams as though anytime you do that, the coach says "it cannot be #64, he is standing here beside me!" They usually understand pretty well when you say, "coach, I couldn't see the number at the time, and had to keep officiating." Just try to not let that happen more than once in the same game, if at all possible.