The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

I have only worn cleats for my 9 years of officiating. I started out with a pair of Reeboks which I removed the white Reebok logo from the sides. Then I got a pair of 3/4 top Nikes which I colored some gray piping and some white on the sides of the soles. Last year I got a pair of 3/4 top Reeboks which I only had to color a small logo from gray to black.

Football cleats are much heavier and don't work well on hard ground when there isn't much grass. Now I have the two pairs of new Reeboks so I can go either way depending on the conditions out there. If it is muddy out there then I will wear the cleats and if not then I will wear the turf shoes.

I am hoping that the new turf shoes will be easier on my feet and hip. I just love it when that tendonitis in my hips pops up now and again.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LaxRef
Quote:
Originally posted by sloth
Has anyone ever considered wearing actual football cleats? Adidas makes a nice pair of quickslant cleats in black on black.
I can't imagine running 3 or 4 games in one day wearing football cleats. My legs and back would kill me. I'll only wear cleats for officiating if the ground is really slippery.

I did try the marker thing on my Asics, and it seems to have worked. I had incorrectly assumed that if the refelective areas wouldn't take shoe polish then they wouldn't take marker either. It's not perfect, but they look pretty good and they'll be comfortable to run in.
I too use the Sharpie on my Nikes that have the reflective Logo. It works, but I am not real happy with it, I guess I notice it, but my wife says no one else will. I do wear FB cleats and don't seem to have a problem. At umpire I like the added traction. They are an above the ankle type of shoe, give great support, and keep me from getting cleated on the ankles.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GBFBUmp
Quote:
Originally posted by LaxRef
Quote:
Originally posted by sloth
Has anyone ever considered wearing actual football cleats? Adidas makes a nice pair of quickslant cleats in black on black.
I can't imagine running 3 or 4 games in one day wearing football cleats. My legs and back would kill me. I'll only wear cleats for officiating if the ground is really slippery.

I did try the marker thing on my Asics, and it seems to have worked. I had incorrectly assumed that if the refelective areas wouldn't take shoe polish then they wouldn't take marker either. It's not perfect, but they look pretty good and they'll be comfortable to run in.
I too use the Sharpie on my Nikes that have the reflective Logo. It works, but I am not real happy with it, I guess I notice it, but my wife says no one else will. I do wear FB cleats and don't seem to have a problem. At umpire I like the added traction. They are an above the ankle type of shoe, give great support, and keep me from getting cleated on the ankles.
Yeah, I keep forgetting to remind people that I'm a lacrosse official who drops in here from time to time because I like football. I can see wearing cleats for officiating a football game much more than I can see wearing them for lacrosse.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yeah, I keep forgetting to remind people that I'm a lacrosse official who drops in here from time to time because I like football. I can see wearing cleats for officiating a football game much more than I can see wearing them for lacrosse.
And here I was thinking, by your username, you officiated FB at LAX airport.....
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Use the spit shine polish to blacken the decals. Worked for me.