The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Even though I'm a Fed official I'm interested in seeing NCAA rulings as well to the following:

A's ball 4th and 15 from A20 with :20 seconds remaining in the game and trailing by 6 points. A34 runs a sweep down the right sideline. During A34's run there is a block below the waist by an A player at B's 10 yardline.

A) a member of team B grabs (does not twist or pull) A34's facemask in making the inbounds tackle at team B's 5 yardline.

B) Same as A except there is no foul by a team B player.

In both cases :02 remains on the game clock after the play. Clock? And, how would you explain the options to the captain who has the penalty option in each case?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

In (A) I do not believe there is any option. The penalties offset and the down is replayed. I believe the period would be extended for an untimed down since there was an accepted penalty (offsetting) during the last timed down.

In (B) the penalty would be enforced under the all but one and, again, the period would be extended if time expires without running another play.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Even though I'm a Fed official I'm interested in seeing NCAA rulings as well to the following:

A's ball 4th and 15 from A20 with :20 seconds remaining in the game and trailing by 6 points. A34 runs a sweep down the right sideline. During A34's run there is a block below the waist by an A player at B's 10 yardline.

A) a member of team B grabs (does not twist or pull) A34's facemask in making the inbounds tackle at team B's 5 yardline.

B) Same as A except there is no foul by a team B player.

In both cases :02 remains on the game clock after the play. Clock? And, how would you explain the options to the captain who has the penalty option in each case?
A) double foul, replay down and the clock starts on the RFP. If another play is not run, we will have an untimed down. Let both teams and coaches know the clock will start on the RFP.

B) you had better measure, cuz if they are short of the LTG, B will decline the penalty, new series awarded to B and they will win the game with the next snap if no fouls. If they make the LTG, give B the option of declining the penalty (1-goal at 5 for A and if team A does not get a play off, game over) or accept the penalty and have 4th-20 at the 25 for team A.
Very important to let both teams and coaches know the clock will start on the RFP. If A does not get a play off, and the penalty was accepted, we will have an untimed down.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJT

B) you had better measure, cuz if they are short of the LTG,

MJT,

What is there to measure? A34 ran the ball from the A 20 to the B5. It sure looks to me that he reached and passed the LTG. I will agree that you have to make sure both coaches know when the clock will start because it will have a big impact on if B accepts or declines the penalty. I'm not sure but I believe the clock would start on the ready if B declines the penalty.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

You beat me to it. I was going to say we'd look awfully silly making the chains come out on a play where they made the LTG by 60 yards.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IAUMP
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT

B) you had better measure, cuz if they are short of the LTG,

MJT,

What is there to measure? A34 ran the ball from the A 20 to the B5. It sure looks to me that he reached and passed the LTG. I will agree that you have to make sure both coaches know when the clock will start because it will have a big impact on if B accepts or declines the penalty. I'm not sure but I believe the clock would start on the ready if B declines the penalty.
Boy, I was going the wrong way, no need to measure when he runs 75 yards!

My starting on the snap was when I had the distances messed up. What I was getting at, was if team A did not reach the LTG, then B would have the ball, down it, and game over! If A retains the ball, the clock will start on the RFP.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: In (a) The penaties offset and the clock will start on the RFP. If time runs out before A snaps the ball then Team B wins the game.

(b) The block below the waist is legal in this play. Team A retains the ball 1st and goal at the B-5. The clock will start on the RFP.

In both plays I think it's important that both teams coaches know that the clock will start on the RFP.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: ljudge...the key difference between NF and NCAA rulings here involves the potential extension of the 4th period. In NF, the foul with an excepted penalty must occur during the last timed down of the period. Whether or not there is time remaining on the clock when that play ends is of no consequence. As long as that was the last timed down, we extend. However, in NCAA rules, in order to extend the period, the time must actually expire during the down in which the foul occurs, i.e. the clock must be reading 0:00. Therefore, those 2 seconds remaining when the down ends are significant in NCAA rules, and we would not extend the period for the foul. Hence, Jason's ruling.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
NCAA: In (a) The penaties offset and the clock will start on the RFP. If time runs out before A snaps the ball then Team B wins the game.

(b) The block below the waist is legal in this play. Team A retains the ball 1st and goal at the B-5. The clock will start on the RFP.

In both plays I think it's important that both teams coaches know that the clock will start on the RFP.
Jason
If the block below the waist is legal in play b, why is it illegal in play a? You are correct as far as the clock and communicating with the coaches.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Good dialogue here. I thought the NCAA would at least have an answer to the double foul anomaly that FED has. In situation A team B can gain an advantage by fouling which is bad. This would be a great rules change if anybody had a good answer to this.

In A the ball goes back to the previous spot and A loses all those yards whereas in situation B it's snapped after marking off A's foul and A doesn't lose anything but their own penalty yards.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Good dialogue here. I thought the NCAA would at least have an answer to the double foul anomaly that FED has. In situation A team B can gain an advantage by fouling which is bad. This would be a great rules change if anybody had a good answer to this.

In A the ball goes back to the previous spot and A loses all those yards whereas in situation B it's snapped after marking off A's foul and A doesn't lose anything but their own penalty yards.
Thank you! I kept thinking the same thing as I was reading all the replies. B actually benefits on this play by commiting a penalty. Now we all know no one is smart enough to do this during a game, but it is still a flaw in the rules.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

NF
In play A the result is a double foul. Replay from the previous spot, clock starts on the ready. If time runs out prior to the snap the period is extended for a untimed down.
In play B, Team B is assessed a half the distance penalty. A’s ball, first and goal at the 2 1/2 yardline. The clock starts on the ready. If time runs out prior to the snap the period is extended for a untimed down.

NCAA
Both A and B. The block below the waist is legal, no foul on team A. The facemask foul on B is enforced from the succeeding spot. A’s ball, first and goal at the 2 1/2 yardline. The clock starts on the ready. If time runs out prior to the snap, the period is not extended because time did not expire during the down.
Dale Smith
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA- Okay, there is confusion on the block below the waist. It can be legal. For the sake of arguement, change it to a clip or hold on A, and now we're back to B benefiting by commiting a foul.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

What does NFL do? Bob M. can you get this from #134?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevesmith
NCAA- Okay, there is confusion on the block below the waist. It can be legal. For the sake of arguement, change it to a clip or hold on A, and now we're back to B benefiting by commiting a foul.
NCAA
You are correct. How ever A should not have fouled. Now we have offsetting fouls. The ball is placed at the previous spot. The clock is started on the ready. If time runs out prior to the snap, the period is not extended because time did not expire during the down.