The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Biggest Blunders (https://forum.officiating.com/football/17319-biggest-blunders.html)

PSU213 Sat Jan 01, 2005 01:08am

I apologize this is totally off topic, but here it goes...

On ESPN2 they had their countdown of the "biggest blunders." They had some good ones such as Sean Landeta "miffing" on punt, and Met's manager Bobby Valentine coming back into the dugout in a disguise after he had been "tossed."

Also on the list, however, was then-Giants pitcher Terry Mullholland getting a ground ball stuck in the webbing of glove. He couldn't get the ball out, so he threw the whole glove the first base for an out. Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this a blunder and not quick thinking? Not that all lists aren't silly (which they can be in my opinion), but what airheads put this one together?

PSU213 Sat Jan 01, 2005 01:37am

OK, I need to rant somemore...

In their defense, #3 was Leon Lett touching downfield a blocked FG of Miami's. The Dolphins recovered, thus giving Miami another chance, and the made the kick to win the game.

At #2 was poor Leon again, this time having the ball knocked away from him just short of the GL in the Super Bowl against Buffalo because he was too busy celebrating a potential TD. Now, IMHO, I would put the play against Miami higher because it had an impact on the game (the play against Buffalo was near the end of the game), but I can't argue too much with because both were definite blunders.

At #1, however, the had the play in the 1982 Cal-Stanford game (the kickoff return at the end of the game). Now maybe you could say Stanford blundered in leaving the time on clock. Or perhaps the officials blundered by missing a runner who was down before he passes the ball, or they missed a foward pass in all of that. Even so, that play is definitely not ahead of Leon Lett. Oh well, like it really matters.

[Edited by PSU213 on Jan 2nd, 2005 at 09:34 AM]

hab_in_exile Sat Jan 01, 2005 08:28am

Wasn't it a pretty big blunder on the part of the band?

ABoselli Sat Jan 01, 2005 01:18pm

The trombone player in the end zone should have squared his feet and delivered the blow. He got steamrolled. No excuses for that - you're a trombone player, son! Not a flute player! Stand tall!

tornado Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:37pm

Just wondering about the Stanford band call: What would the crew have called if the band had tackled Cal's ball carrier?

EdT Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:57pm

Being a member of the Stanford class of '83 (Elway's class), I was at that Big Game and I place the fault of the last play squarely on the shoulders of Mr. John Elway. It was he who called a time-out with *eight* seconds left, leaving time for the now-infamous kickoff. If he had waited until three or two seconds, Stanford would have won, gone to the AstroBlueBonnet Bowl and history would have been a lot different. There, I've said it and I feel better for it.

Jim S Sun Jan 02, 2005 01:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by ABoselli
The trombone player in the end zone should have squared his feet and delivered the blow. He got steamrolled. No excuses for that - you're a trombone player, son! Not a flute player! Stand tall!
Actually the trombone by design is a fairly weak instrument, whereas the flute can be used as a number of different weapons.... Avoid flutists whenever possible.

chiefgil Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:05am

ESPN Blunders

Don't get taken in by ESPN. They control what we think about anything in sports.

That list is just like an English Lit Professor; it's all about what they think. Everyone has an opinion, but they usually stink.

jimbulger1 Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim S
Quote:

Originally posted by ABoselli
Actually the trombone by design is a fairly weak instrument, whereas the flute can be used as a number of different weapons.... Avoid flutists whenever possible.

flute hmmm "this one time at band camp"