The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

OK Have I lost it or what? Last week(I can't remember which NFL game it was) Team A punted the ball and then a player from Team A ran down the field and made contact with the ball but did not down it(the ball was still moving). Then a player from Team B came in and grabbed the ball right in the middle of a buch on players from Team A who were swarming around it ready to down it and the payer from Team B advanced the ball 10 yards. No the weird part is that the commentator said that it was not risky at all for the player from Team B to pick up the ball because no matter what happened the ball could not go back to Team A because they had already touched it. Even if he fumbled it the ball would still belong to Team B. Is this right?? Thanks
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Not knowing NFL rules it's difficult to comment. So, here's a shot at what they were most likely talking about as the codes may be the same. Assuming it were a high school game played under Fed rules....

If A(K) had touched the ball first it would be first touching so if B picked up the ball and eventually fumbled back over to the kicking team B is still entitled to the ball at the spot of firt touching. But there are exceptions to this...

1st - B(R) would need to get the ball with clean hands (obviously) and decline any team K fouls (if any occurred),

2nd - after possessing the ball B(R) would forefeit their right to take the ball at the spot of first touching if they had fouled.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

You're nto crazy, that is what you heard/saw.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cvyluv
OK Have I lost it or what? Last week(I can't remember which NFL game it was) Team A punted the ball and then a player from Team A ran down the field and made contact with the ball but did not down it(the ball was still moving). Then a player from Team B came in and grabbed the ball right in the middle of a buch on players from Team A who were swarming around it ready to down it and the payer from Team B advanced the ball 10 yards. No the weird part is that the commentator said that it was not risky at all for the player from Team B to pick up the ball because no matter what happened the ball could not go back to Team A because they had already touched it. Even if he fumbled it the ball would still belong to Team B. Is this right?? Thanks
It's called first touching. Since K (kicking team) touched the ball first, R (receiving team) can field the ball and run with it without fear of losing the ball, unless they foul after the touching. If R were to fumble and K recover, then R could take the ball at the spot of first touching.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

99.9% of the time the announcers don't have a clue on the rules so I highly suggest not listening to them. You did good to get on here to find the truth and not believe them. But, to their credit this is the .1% that they were correct. If the kicking team touches the ball it is illegal touching. It's not a foul but a violation that gives the receiving team the option of taking the ball at the spot of the touch or the dead ball spot, even if they fumble. This is all assuming there were no accepted live ball fouls during the play.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Wow you guys really know your stuff. Thanks so much for your quick replies. I will sleep easier tonight. And JasonTX you are right about announcers, they usually get the rules wrong most of the time, that's why I came here!!!!