The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

How would you establish the receiving team's free kick line if a series of penalties created a situation where the kicking team was kicking from inside the receiving team's 10 yrd line?
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starman
How would you establish the receiving team's free kick line if a series of penalties created a situation where the kicking team was kicking from inside the receiving team's 10 yrd line?
In NF, the NZ cannot be go into the EZ, so you would have to stop at the 10 I believe.

I discovered, on the other board I believe, that in NCAA the ball cannot go inside the 5 yard line in a case like this, and then a penalty will then be enforced on the succeeding spot after the play. Very odd.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I was told that if they kicked from the 5 then team R would need to be 5 yards deep in their EZ. BUT I believe that person who taught me that rule a few years back had to be wrong. Or, there's a conflict (no surprise) in the rule.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Rule 6-1-1 says "These lines [the free kick lines] are always 10 yards apart." Now to me, always means always, but if there is a rule that says the NZ on a kick cannot be extended into the EZ, please let me know.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

There used to be words to that effect. They were removed from the books a couple season ago.
Now the FK line can extend into the endzone.
Just step off 10 yards and tell them here's where you can stand.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
There used to be words to that effect. They were removed from the books a couple season ago.
Now the FK line can extend into the endzone.
Just step off 10 yards and tell them here's where you can stand.
You may be correct. I was going off of the fact that the NZ cannot be in the EZ on a scrimmage play and the ENZ cannot go into the EZ, so I figured same with 10 yard free kick NZ. What I have stated makes sense, but it is not backed in the case book, but not every odd thing is. Do you have any proof, not that I do?
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I also recall that NF 6-1-1 is interpreted literally. If the ball is on the two, R's restraining line is 8 yards deep into the end zone.

At least for Federation, imagine what would happen on this play if it wasn't:
PLAY: Kickers leading 20-18 late in 4th quarter. Receiver makes a fair catch on K's 45. On the ensuing play (from scrimmage), A10 runs to B's 2 where he is tackled by the face mask. After enforcement, coach of A informs the referee he wants to free kick from B's 2. (Remember he's entitled to choose that option, because he's replaying the down following the fair catch).
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Well as they are very clear on the 10 yards, 2-27-1, 5-1-5, 6-1-1, and Fund V-2, and nowhere does it say that this neutral zone can't extend into the end zone I would say that you just back up the receivers about 10 yards.

What do you do when the ball is on the 2 inch line and they try a free-kick? The receivers are either encroaching or are OOB. A foul one way or another, not that I would call it.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
[... Do you have any proof, not that I do?
Proof?
I just told you that it used to be in the rule book.
In 2001, fundmental V.26 explicitly stated "Free-kick lines are always 10 yards apart, but not extended into the end zone".

Those bold words were added to the fundmental in 2001. They were not even documented in the front matter as a change.

In 2002, in the major editorial change section, the fundmentals were renumbered and V.2 ( the old V.26) was changed to read, "Free-kick lines are always 10 yards apart". Just as it did in 2000 and prior years.

My notes for 2001 say that this changed was never supposed to have been made. It was always 10 yards apart. No exceptions even if inside the B-10 yardline.

We don't need a case book playfor every rule. If we did the case book would be 10x the size it already is.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
[... Do you have any proof, not that I do?
Proof?
I just told you that it used to be in the rule book.
In 2001, fundmental V.26 explicitly stated "Free-kick lines are always 10 yards apart, but not extended into the end zone".

Those bold words were added to the fundmental in 2001. They were not even documented in the front matter as a change.

In 2002, in the major editorial change section, the fundmentals were renumbered and V.2 ( the old V.26) was changed to read, "Free-kick lines are always 10 yards apart". Just as it did in 2000 and prior years.

My notes for 2001 say that this changed was never supposed to have been made. It was always 10 yards apart. No exceptions even if inside the B-10 yardline.

We don't need a case book playfor every rule. If we did the case book would be 10x the size it already is.
That's what I was wondering. Thanks!