The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

This is off the 2002 NFHS exam.
If substitute B12 is on A's side of the neutral zone when the ball is snapped, it's an encroachment foul.
Answer is false. So what is the call?

Rules definition is as follows:

SECTION 30 PLAYER DESIGNATIONS

ART. 15 . . . A substitute is a team member who may replace a player or fill a player vacancy. A substitute becomes a player when he enters the field and communicates with a teammate or an official, enters the huddle, is positioned in a formation or participates in the play. An entering substitute is not considered to be a player for encroachment restrictions until he is on his team's side of the neutral zone. A team member entering the field to fill a player vacancy remains a substitute until he is on his team's side of the neutral zone.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

This sounds like an illegal substitution foul to me. Unless the player actively participates in the play, then you have illegal participation.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

ok

SO let's say that a player on B went to the sideline and is being replaced by a substitute. The substitute is heading to the defensive side of the ball but has not made it accross the nuetral zone before the snap. That player is then still a substitute so it cannot be an encroachment foul.

I don't have my rule book with me. I am assuming this play would be killed and an illegal substitution foul called?
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

It's a live ball and like IA Ump said, if he participates after that, it's an IP fould enforced under all but one.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ok

Quote:
Originally posted by shocker
SO let's say that a player on B went to the sideline and is being replaced by a substitute. The substitute is heading to the defensive side of the ball but has not made it accross the nuetral zone before the snap. That player is then still a substitute so it cannot be an encroachment foul.

I don't have my rule book with me. I am assuming this play would be killed and an illegal substitution foul called?
This is definitely a live ball ill substitution foul. As IAUMP said, it turns into ill participation if he influences the play. The reason you do not kill it is cuz it is not a foul until the snap, which B can rectify if they get on their own side of the NZ before the snap.

See page 73 of the casebook for comments of when it is ill substitution or illegal participation. Comment #5 discusses your exact question.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

[Canadian Rules]

In Canada we would call the B player offside if they participated and nothing if they did not.

Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 04:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by shocker
This is off the 2002 NFHS exam.
If substitute B12 is on A's side of the neutral zone when the ball is snapped, it's an encroachment foul.
Answer is false. So what is the call?

Rules definition is as follows:

SECTION 30 PLAYER DESIGNATIONS

ART. 15 . . . A substitute is a team member who may replace a player or fill a player vacancy. A substitute becomes a player when he enters the field and communicates with a teammate or an official, enters the huddle, is positioned in a formation or participates in the play. An entering substitute is not considered to be a player for encroachment restrictions until he is on his team's side of the neutral zone. A team member entering the field to fill a player vacancy remains a substitute until he is on his team's side of the neutral zone.
Our substitution rule is that if you're on the field (read: not OB) you are eligible to participate in the play. Now, if you're a slow runner, or the offense snaps the ball with you on their side of the LS, there is no foul if you don't participate in the play. We consider it a one-play power play. (I miss hockey.)