The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

i am interested in becoming a football official for HS football. I currently umpire baseball, and have done that for over 5 years now. My question is i never played organized football, and really the only rule knowledge i have is from watching it on t.v., do you think it would be difficult for me to start officiating a sport that i have never played before. I love to watch football i watch a couple of games a week.
My other question is how much of an investment would it be. I would guess that it is less then my baseball gear.

Thank you and if there is anything else you think i need to know i would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

First off what you see on Sunday forget the rest of the week two different sets of rules, just ask around about the local association they can tell you what you have to do to get started, as far as cost probably you will come close to $200.00 from head to toe plus all the extras I hope this helps.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I never played organized football and had limited knowlege of HS rules when I started 4 years ago. Start by learning the definitions in the rule book and go from there.

Become a student of the rules, learn from the vets (after you've figured out which ones know what they're talking about), get a good mentor, keep reading and posting here, work as many games as you can and remember the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.

I started out with the basic gear in the first year (I purchased a starter package- most places have them) and added to it once I figured out what more I needed/wanted/liked.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mfs914
i am interested in becoming a football official for HS football. I currently umpire baseball, and have done that for over 5 years now. My question is i never played organized football, and really the only rule knowledge i have is from watching it on t.v., do you think it would be difficult for me to start officiating a sport that i have never played before. I love to watch football i watch a couple of games a week.
My other question is how much of an investment would it be. I would guess that it is less then my baseball gear.

Thank you and if there is anything else you think i need to know i would really appreciate it.
I never played football but I loved to watch it on TV, it is not that difficult to learn IMO. TV will help you with general basics but do not try to compare the two as there are many differences. Your football gear won't cost you that much around $200 sounds right for the first year, maybe a little more, especially if you buy a jacket.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

If you want to do it, you can become very good if you put in the time and have a desire to be good.
Put in time on this board, and the McGriff board, reading and learning from the posts. Ask questions and get rule and casebooks and look up posted questions.
Read and highlight the most important parts of the entire rulebook every year. Study the casebook for play situations. Buy a "simplified and illustrated" book and an "officials manual" and learn the keys for your position.
Try to talk to other officials, get in an FB officials organization and learn as much as you can.
Start watching games from the officials perspective. Any time there is a penalty, think of what the enforcement is, where it will be enforced from and the status of the clock after enforcement.
I work FB, BB, and SB, and while others will have their own opinions, my opinion is there is no greater excitement in officiating than in football. You sound like you have the desire an official and we would love to have you!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mfs914

Thanks
Mike
Mike, welcome to the board. One of the most important things about officiating is to use the correct terminology.

You're interested in officiating football, not "refing."
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I didn't play either.
1. learn definitions
2. read rule book and case book
3. get on this board and look up the answers to the rules whenever one is asked
4. find a good crew your rookie year and go with them to their games.
5. work as often as possible doing little kids/jr high/jv games.
6. make yourself totally available for whatever and where ever to call.
7. costs to get into bout $150-200. (buy a fox 40 for a whistle)

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I didn't play either.
1. learn definitions
Great list. Number 6 is a good one, if you are always availible guess who's goign to get called when they need someone last minute or when schedules have changed.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I didn't play either.
1. learn definitions
Great list. Number 6 is a good one, if you are always availible guess who's goign to get called when they need someone last minute or when schedules have changed.
I agree with Snake. If you want to move up, never say no or turn back a game, unless it is a matter of life or death. I have seen it so many times that the new guy that wants to work get games over the veteran that picks and chooses which games he wants to work.

Also, be available for scrimmages, work on the chain crew or as a ball boy whenever possible, and always volunteer for other odd jobs for your association. If you do these things, people in the association will recognize you and you will move up a lot faster in the association.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Latch onto someone who is able and willing to help you. Steer clear of people who miss no opportunity to let everybody hear how much they (think they) know. You'll find out quick they don't know much.

Listen to advice but find out what works for you - everybody has their own way.

Work hard. The kids deserve it.