Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by ltrain1007
Patton thanks, I bet you feel really tough now.

And Bob, i do the same thing, thanks for clearing it up, I was confused.
Well, you have to admit that you came out pretty strong telling people they were incorrect, when what you were using as your logic was a article from the Chicago Tribune. Are you an official yourself? Were you aware that HS, college and the NFL use different rules? Did you know that the majority of the posts on this forum deal with NFHS. So, do I feel tough? No, I never intended to. I was sincere however, when I said welcome to the board. I enjoy when people (officials or not) come here and ask for help or clarification on the rules. It helps us to stay sharp.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ltrain1007
Thumbs up

Patton and anyone else on this board i have offended i apologize, i dont know why i am coming across so "belligerent" to everyone, but i guess thats how my words look when typed and not spoken. Anywho, I appreciate the answers and the rules, and i look foward to stirring up somethings in the near future.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

It happened in the TCU Baylor Game - player passes within the pylon

But the ball is outside the pylon- however the player never steps into the end zone. The goal line to infinity only apples when the ball is outside of the pylon and the player in control of the ball makes contact with the turf in the end zone.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

From the 2014 Case Book ...

2.26.3 SITUATION: Runner A1 is advancing towards B's goal line and is very near the sideline.
a. A1 advances into B's end zone while holding the ball outside the sideline plane; or
b. A1 dives toward the end zone, but is hit by B1 which causes him to land out of bounds beyond the goal-line extended.
A1's last contact with the ground was short of the goal line. In both cases the ball breaks the plane of B's goal-line extended.
RULING:
• In (a), it is a touchdown because A1 was touching inbounds when the ball broke the plane of the goal-line extended.
• In (b) since A1 was not touching inbounds and was short of the goal line when he was hit, it is not a touchdown even though the ball did break the goal-line plane extended. The ball is spotted at the inbounds spot on the yard line where the foremost point of the ball crossed the sideline plane when A1 was driven out of bounds.

Sorry, I missed where this was posted on Page 2 of the thread.

Last edited by ump33; Mon Nov 30, 2015 at 07:42am.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump33 View Post
Sorry, I missed where this was posted on Page 2 of the thread.
That's OK: it was 11 years ago.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain1007 View Post
When diving out of bounds its the spot of the ball where you land.

When punting and kicking its where the ball crosses the out of bounds line. But when a player has position, the ball is not out of bounds until the player is, and by rule . . .

"A player or an airborne player is out of bounds when any part of his person touches anything other than another player or game official, on or outside a boundary line."
"When diving out of bounds its the spot of the ball where you land."

Again.....no. It would be placed at the foremost spot where the ball intersected the sideline....he does not get the benefit of another 18-36 inches to where he contacts any out of bounds area or persons OOB. You are essentially confusing goal line extended with ball crossing the sideline. Think of where a punt / fumble crosses the sideline and where or how it is marked.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Thu Dec 03, 2015 at 03:01pm.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 02:09pm
Chain of Fools

Lock this thread, a first time poster resurrected an 11 year old post.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Lock this thread, a first time poster resurrected an 11 year old post.
What's the benefit of locking it? It's not a terrifically long thread, so someone interested in the subject can easily read thru it, and if they still have Qs, what better thread to post them in?