The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Oh, please don't open that can of worms again!

I'm new at this, but I think I'm beginning to feel that you're going to work with/run into all sorts of different officials who approach this differently than you do when it comes to how they call a game (not rules-wise, just the way they handle everything). I'm starting to think that all you can do is comport yourself with integrity, take it seriously, do the best you can, and if that's good enough to move you ahead of other people on the food chain, then so be it. If it's not, the only things you can control are your own appearance, your own professionalism and your own preparation. It's up to others to do the same.

But what do I know? I'm a rookie.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I almost did

Quote:
Originally posted by cbailey
You have no idea how hard it was not to leave, especially after he waives off 2 other penalties that same game.

Is it appropriate for a rookie official to request not to work with a certain crew or crew chief?
Report what happened to the supervisor and request not to work with that guy again.

You did it right, you DON'T ignore face mask fouls! Let him try to explain it to the coach of the offended player when he gets hurt.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I almost did

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by cbailey
You have no idea how hard it was not to leave, especially after he waives off 2 other penalties that same game.

Is it appropriate for a rookie official to request not to work with a certain crew or crew chief?
Report what happened to the supervisor and request not to work with that guy again.

You did it right, you DON'T ignore face mask fouls! Let him try to explain it to the coach of the offended player when he gets hurt.
One thing you can do. When the coach asks you why it was waved off you can say "Coach I saw the facemask but the R says I shouldn't call it so he overuled me and waved it off." Paybacks a b****!