The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

OK - this is one situation --after calling for many -many ...... years -- I'm really not sure how to handle.
I know what the book says - but in reality - how are we calling it?
You see it called by the pros a lot -- but not seen / called much if any - in high school.

Player runs down the sideline and TOUCHES the sideline and continues inbounds and participates ------------

Player back to punt -deep in his EZ and before the snap - his foot TOUCHES the end line --------------

Just wanted y'alls opinions.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

In high school if the offense goes out of bounds it must be intentional. If the player intentional goes out of bounds and returns, you have illeagal particapation. If the person stepping out of bounds is not intentional, you have nothing.

If the punter steps on the endline, he is out of bounds and you have a saftey.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional has nothing to do with it. If he comes back in (and he's A or K before a change of possession or with no change of possession) it's an IP foul where he returns and it is administered under all but one.

I know the next part of the rule reads 'intentionally' but the one above it does not - just to cover everything. If he runs wide of a defender and goes OB, he has gained an advantage, however slight. If he is pushed out, no problem, but he must return at his earliest opportunity.

If a kid lines up right next to the sideline, it's on him to stay inbounds. Like I said before, though, he can get pushed out as long as he comes back in as soon as he can.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Most of the time, receivers don't line up that far out, and most of the time that they go out, it's because they were pushed out.

That said - if they were not pushed out, I'm calling this by the letter.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected--Thank you.

I just looked up the rule in the book. You guys are correct anytime a member of A or K steps out and returns IP unless blocked out.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

That being the case -- w/ K stepping on the end line -- before the snap -- what the call?

Is it a dead ball foul?
Or - do you let the snap occur and the play go -- and give options -- of which one is a safety?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Before the snap? What's the infraction?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by William C
Is it a dead ball foul?
Or - do you let the snap occur and the play go -- and give options -- of which one is a safety?
Dead ball foul? Let me ask you this, if the player stays out of bounds is it still a foul? Can the player move inbounds before the snap, or has he violated once he steps on the line?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

It's no foul if he doesn't return -- but your question --is my question.
When he steps on the line -- and returns -- before the snap -- is it a foul?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That being the case -- w/ K stepping on the end line -- before the snap -- what the call?

Is it a dead ball foul?
You might have a dead-ball foul for an illegal substitution by K if K steps out of bounds, and then returns prior to the snap.

You might have a live-ball foul for an illegal substituion by K if K steps out of bounds prior to the snap, and then returns inbounds after the snap.

Here is something else to think about: what if K, the punter, is standing in the end zone with one foot touching the end line and the other foot in the end zone at the snap. You would have a live-ball foul for illegal substitution. If K catches the snap while his foot is still on the end line you would have a dead-ball. R's options would be to accept the penalty from the previous spot and replay the down, or decline the penalty and take the safety.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

If he is on the line when the ball is snapped and stays there, isn't he out of bounds and if he catche the ball he would cause it to be out of bounds. Thus a safety. as long as he does not come back into to play what foul has he created?

I see this no different than a wide reciever who is standing on the sideline when the ball is snapped.
as long as he does not come back on the field what is the foul.

[Edited by andy1033 on Oct 26th, 2004 at 03:16 PM]
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is it a dead ball foul?
If he's stepping on the line before the snap I'm not sure I'd do anthing . It's where he is after the snap thats a differant story. In most sub-V games I'd likely just tell the punter to look at where his feet are and hope he'd ajust. But if he's standing on the line when he recives the ball, I'd blow it dead. If he's on it at the snap and stepps forward to recive the ball I'd have to judge if he's gained any adavantige by this and maybe go with an illegal participation. Or maybe not.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I understand IP (borderline, but technically correct) if he's out of bounds when the ball is snapped and steps forward to catch it.

But what's the rule that makes this a foul if he touches the end line before the snap, and readjusts in bounds also before the snap? I thought I'd read on here before that in FED, a player that leaves, but is not substituted for, is still a player - so this doesn't sound like illegal substitute if he returns before the ball is snapped.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I understand IP (borderline, but technically correct) if he's out of bounds when the ball is snapped and steps forward to catch it.

But what's the rule that makes this a foul if he touches the end line before the snap, and readjusts in bounds also before the snap? I thought I'd read on here before that in FED, a player that leaves, but is not substituted for, is still a player - so this doesn't sound like illegal substitute if he returns before the ball is snapped.
I don't think there is a rule against this. At least I can’t find one. That’s why I said I’d do nothing outside of telling the punter to look at his feet. All in all the way I look at a situation like this is if it didn't affect the play, take an advantage of an opponent, or create a threat to player safety, then it is not a foul.

[b][i]Don't call it unless you can hang your hat on it.

Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's no foul if he doesn't return -- but your question --is my question.
When he steps on the line -- and returns -- before the snap -- is it a foul?
lol, I was asking questions to get you thinking, I know the answer to the questions. ...nevermind...