The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Curious as to what you Umps (toughest man in the crew bye the way) use to signal your wings and WH when counting Offense. I punch out with fist at the LOS while over the ball. What do you guys do when 10 break the huddle? What about 12?

Jayseef
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysef
Curious as to what you Umps (toughest man in the crew bye the way) use to signal your wings and WH when counting Offense. I punch out with fist at the LOS while over the ball. What do you guys do when 10 break the huddle? What about 12?

Jayseef
10 or less and I have my fist down at my side. 11 I am punching towards the R who should be punching back. This way when the 11th man comes on the field, I just lift up my forearm and am punching towards the R, very subtle movement which is what I think signals should be. 12 or more in the huddle is the R's call as he is able to tell if one player is trying to get another to leave and it is only confusion and not deception that leaves more than 11 in the huddle. Once they break the huddle, I signal 12 or more by dropping a flag so we always have illegal substitution and not illegal participation. The crews I work with feel illegal participation due to failure to count properly is a demerit to the officials. For the wings, HL in particular, I use a hand to the face for unbalanced line to help the HL count 7 on the line.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

don't know why, but down here in SW FL
the U and BJ count defense---
I don't like it as there are times when I
cannot get a count quickly enough--
with 11, punch my fist with the BJ, usually even verbalize "got 11"
with 10, hold both hands (fingers open) on my chest
with 12 or more, put both hands on the bill of my hat
---- as U I will remind the defensive captain to "count 'em up"

Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWFLguy
don't know why, but down here in SW FL
the U and BJ count defense---
I don't like it as there are times when I
cannot get a count quickly enough--
with 11, punch my fist with the BJ, usually even verbalize "got 11"
with 10, hold both hands (fingers open) on my chest
with 12 or more, put both hands on the bill of my hat
---- as U I will remind the defensive captain to "count 'em up"

With your mechanics how does the BJ see that you have both hands on your chest for 10 players?
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

Quote:

Jayseef
The mechanic used in Ontario is to tap the brim of your hat if you've got 12 (the expected number), tap your flag for more than 12, or point down to the ground if they're short.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Our ump and white hat just use a simple fist for 11, thumb up for 12 or thumb down for 10.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Signals

Fist out with 11, palms to chest with 10 and hand to brim with 12 until the 12 are confirmed and then a flag.

Duckdr
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
Our ump and white hat just use a simple fist for 11, thumb up for 12 or thumb down for 10.
Same for us. Simple, effective, and unnoticable.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy follow-up question

Let's say you got 10, and the LJ or HL have less than 7 on LOS...live or dead ball foul? My HL was working with another crew and he had 6 on LOS, blew it dead...crew chastised him profusely and told him to flag it, but let play go live. Is this correct?

2ndYrUmp
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: follow-up question

Quote:
Let's say you got 10, and the LJ or HL have less than 7 on LOS...live or dead ball foul? My HL was working with another crew and he had 6 on LOS, blew it dead...crew chastised him profusely and told him to flag it, but let play go live. Is this correct?

2ndYrUmp
This is a live ball foul. The offense could have shifted and corrected the alignment. He should have thrown the flag at the snap and not blown the whistle.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: follow-up question

Quote:
Can the team move one guy up and make 7 on the line before the snap? Or is it a foul as soon as they have 6 on the line?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Hand signs.

Its a foul at the snap for illegal procedure, six men on the line at the snap. They have until the snap to correct the situation.

Here in our association: R & U count offense, LJ and BJ count defense. HL does not have counting responsibilities but is told to count the offense and the number of players on the offensive line at the snap.

We punch when we have 11, hold our hands to our chest or straight down if we have 10 or less, and put our hand on top of our caps if we have 12 or more.

We count in the huddle if possible (I verbalize with my R just after the ready for play) or as soon as possible when the team breaks the huddle.

If 12 or more, we make eye contact, then reach for our flags, then nod at each other, then throw and blow. It looks sharp that way if you can do it.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

I think we have the easiest mechinac of everyone, we only count on kickoffs. The only time we count on O and D is when we hear the coach yelling "HEY THEY GOT 12 IN THE HUDDLE!!!!"... then we worry about it.

Maybe I'll ask our WH about this on Friday.

Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schmitty1973
I think we have the easiest mechinac of everyone, we only count on kickoffs. The only time we count on O and D is when we hear the coach yelling "HEY THEY GOT 12 IN THE HUDDLE!!!!"... then we worry about it.

Maybe I'll ask our WH about this on Friday.

Good thinking!! That mechanic would sure give a guy alot more time to check out the crowd between plays and completely does away with the requirement that a guy be able to count that high.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Our association:

U, BJ and LJ count B. If we're good (<12), BJ and LJ fist out to side, U fist behind back. If we're not, BJ and U will verbalize "nope" and we'll get no fist from LJ. BJ will blow and throw as snap appears imminent and we see no player leaving the field.

R and HL count A (since R coordinates with HL to be sure chains are set we decided to take advantage of that communication). Same mechanic for 'good', Fists out to side. If > 11, R will check HL for 'no fist' and will blow and throw as snap is imminent.

HL and LJ count players on LOS on their side of Center. IF 3, punch downfield. If > 3 punch downfield and indicate # with fingers of other hand over head. If < 3 punch upfield and indicate # with fingers of other hand over head.

If we have < 7 on line and < 11 on A, we blow and throw as snap appears imminent. We prefer to penalize Illegal Sub vs. Illegal Part.