View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysef
Curious as to what you Umps (toughest man in the crew bye the way) use to signal your wings and WH when counting Offense. I punch out with fist at the LOS while over the ball. What do you guys do when 10 break the huddle? What about 12?

Jayseef
10 or less and I have my fist down at my side. 11 I am punching towards the R who should be punching back. This way when the 11th man comes on the field, I just lift up my forearm and am punching towards the R, very subtle movement which is what I think signals should be. 12 or more in the huddle is the R's call as he is able to tell if one player is trying to get another to leave and it is only confusion and not deception that leaves more than 11 in the huddle. Once they break the huddle, I signal 12 or more by dropping a flag so we always have illegal substitution and not illegal participation. The crews I work with feel illegal participation due to failure to count properly is a demerit to the officials. For the wings, HL in particular, I use a hand to the face for unbalanced line to help the HL count 7 on the line.