The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I have a game coming up that I have a group of 2nd and 3rd year officials with me. Myself and the backjudge are 4th and 7th year officials respectively.
The game has 2 teams battling for playoff positioning as they are 7-1 and 6-2 (6-2 is the visitor) so it will be an intense ball game, at least for the start of the game and then longer depending on how the game goes score wise (the 6-2 team either wins or loses by blowout from what I have seen). I also know that the visiting team has a coach that loves to blow his stack. I have made a call and when trying to tell him what I had he would not let me get 2 words in.
The official that is supposed to be the HL is in his second year and, while it looks like he is going to be a good official, he is a bit on the timid side and will probably get eaten alive by this coach. Should I swap him to LJ and put the LJ at HL as he is a bit more experienced?
I don't want him to feel like he cannot handle it but yet I don't want him getting destroyed and quitting because he desides he cannot handle it. Like I said I think he will be a very good official someday.
Opinions????

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I have a game coming up that I have a group of 2nd and 3rd year officials with me. Myself and the backjudge are 4th and 7th year officials respectively.
The game has 2 teams battling for playoff positioning as they are 7-1 and 6-2 (6-2 is the visitor) so it will be an intense ball game, at least for the start of the game and then longer depending on how the game goes score wise (the 6-2 team either wins or loses by blowout from what I have seen). I also know that the visiting team has a coach that loves to blow his stack. I have made a call and when trying to tell him what I had he would not let me get 2 words in.
The official that is supposed to be the HL is in his second year and, while it looks like he is going to be a good official, he is a bit on the timid side and will probably get eaten alive by this coach. Should I swap him to LJ and put the LJ at HL as he is a bit more experienced?
I don't want him to feel like he cannot handle it but yet I don't want him getting destroyed and quitting because he desides he cannot handle it. Like I said I think he will be a very good official someday.
Opinions????
I think you should leave him there, but back him up strongly. Let him see that the crew is a team, and you won't let the coach get out of line. Joke with him about the 'love' on the sideline, but I think changing him does not solve the problem in the first place and he may perceive it as you lacking confidence in him. $0.02
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I disagree, if you feel he would do better on the other side with a more "friendly" coach move him over. We have done this with our guys. Coaches are definitely a consideration when placing guys in positions. Tell him it is an intense game with a coach that is hard to deal with, and you think he would be more valuable to the crew on the LJ side where he has a better coach to deal with and doesn't have to deal with the chains...
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I disagree. I'd never switch officials because of a coach. You're letting them dictate the game if you do.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Let your wing official make the decision. If you had the assigner swap him out of the game all together it wouldn't be good and you would be a showing a lack of confidence. But you're not doing that so good for you in keeping him in there. Let him know a little history of the coach and let him tell you if he feels he's ready for that. It's great experience for him if he goes through it. If he knows he might get abused (and he's ready for it) then he can tune it out a lot easier with some preparation.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I agree whole-heartedly with ljudge. Letting him know the situation is (in my humble opinion) the best thing you can do. It presents the challenge to him, which in itself does several things including: 1. letting him know that his team has confidence in him, 2. allowing him to prepare for something that he will have to deal with in the future anyways, and 3. Giving him the chance to opt out if he knows he can't handle it at this point. I would tell him I'm going to let him handle the coach unless he needs help, in which case his team will be behind him. I also agree with ljudge that you should be commended for not having the assignor swap him out already.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Let him know about the situation, that way he is prepared for it and give him some ideas on how to handle it. Make sure that he knows he doesn't have to take the abuse.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Moving officials gives in to the coaches. If the official is competent and you have confidence in his decision making process, keep him there.

What you need to do during the game is demonstrate your confidence in your official. I have found throwing the phrase "Good call" toward an official lets the coach and others know how that official stands with the white hat.

There is psychology involved working with coaches and some are masters at it. You don't want your official to be overwhelmed by this coach and have the coach take away his game through intimidation. If the coach is badgering the official just say something like "Don't pay attention to those coaches" lets the coach and the official know you are watching what is going on.

Good luck!
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

changing official?

I would not change an official because of a coach. I've had a similar incident only the coach ( who was very verbal ) kept making calls and my wing man ( 2nd year ) would throw his flag. After three calls from the coach, I discussed the play with the wingman. He said he felt intimidated by this coach so I told hom to follow my lead. In front of the coach, I waved the flag off and said there was no holding on the play. The coach threw a fit and wanted an explaination. I looked him in the eye and said " when you let me call your plays, I'll let you officiate." He kept his mouth shut the rest of the game.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I don't feel it is giving in to the coach to put your strongest wing official on a side where the most difficult coach is. I think it is more of a preventive officiating move. We do it all the time, but we don't work crews we work through the association and have different guys together each week. But when the assignment committee or white hat is deciding who will be the L and who will be the H, the coaches are certainly taken into consideration. If they are both a pain in the butt then we just send one to each side, but if one is a pain, and the other is pretty docile we send the guy that is the best coach handler to the tough guys side...I see no reason why it shouldn't happen that way..I would much rather move my new guy, than wave off a flag to make a point, especially after he told me he felt intimidated by a coach. Moving him before the game keeps him from feeling intimidated and while what was said to the coach about calling plays shows unity, I am sure in the back of his mind the wing guy questions why he was intimidated, so why put an official in that position if it can be avoided??

[Edited by cmathews on Oct 25th, 2004 at 04:22 PM]
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

The only way to learn is to 'do'. Leave him there. He's gonna have to walk through the fire eventually. Might as well be now.

Life's best lessons are often it's hardest.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
just my two cents

If you are a subscriber to the paid portion of this site you may have seen my series about a crew of 5 rookies that I am training this year...if you are not a subscriber, her is the free version...

I am the R for a crew of 5 rookies and 1 trainer, an NCAA R with 27 years experience...This is my first year as R.

I have had this issue come up with my crew. My LJ is brand new to the sport, having never played the game, but he is an experience baseball and basketball official (6 years). My HL is new to football and has called baseball and basketball for 1 year.

I had one game this year where the visiting team was notorious for chewing on officials. My HL is not very confident in his skills and has been talked into flags in the past. I, with input from our trainer, made the decision to switch my HL and LJ because my normal LJ is a pro at dealing with yammering, blubbering coaches. Must be those years calling BB and baseball.

It worked for us. This was a one game only deal and I continue to work with my HL to teach him how to not be influenced by the coaches and don't get talked into flags.

PS - I liked the earlier post about waving the flag off in front of the coach...I'll remember that one.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

I post this as a second year official.

This year was my first year where I've done high school games in the Line Judge posistion, (in Canadian Football, both teams are on the Line Judge's side of the field) I feel that this has helped me tremendously in my development as an official. It has helped me to work on my communication skills with regards to speaking to coaches and it has also helped me draw a line, the line in which I won't let the coach cross.

Last week I had a similar sitution to yours. It was a game with 2 teams playing for the final playoff spot. I was the line judge, and I had to flag the coach. It was an interesting experience, and I know that the influence my prior games had helped me to make that call when I did.

Experience is the key. How will your LJ learn to deal with coaches if you give him all the quiet ones??

Those are my thoughts.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Why not let the HL make the call. Tell him your concerns and let him decide. Make sure to tell the HL that you'll support him either way.

If you make the switch without his consent, he may be so discouraged that he'll quit. He may take it as a vote of no confindence.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with many above who have said to discuss it with him and let him make the decision. If he wants to stay, tell him to try to "exhibit confidence" with his posture, mechanics, and whistles. Showing strength and confidence on the outside, will help with inner confidence, as well as keep the coaches at bay, at least as much as possible.