View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I don't feel it is giving in to the coach to put your strongest wing official on a side where the most difficult coach is. I think it is more of a preventive officiating move. We do it all the time, but we don't work crews we work through the association and have different guys together each week. But when the assignment committee or white hat is deciding who will be the L and who will be the H, the coaches are certainly taken into consideration. If they are both a pain in the butt then we just send one to each side, but if one is a pain, and the other is pretty docile we send the guy that is the best coach handler to the tough guys side...I see no reason why it shouldn't happen that way..I would much rather move my new guy, than wave off a flag to make a point, especially after he told me he felt intimidated by a coach. Moving him before the game keeps him from feeling intimidated and while what was said to the coach about calling plays shows unity, I am sure in the back of his mind the wing guy questions why he was intimidated, so why put an official in that position if it can be avoided??

[Edited by cmathews on Oct 25th, 2004 at 04:22 PM]