The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to MI Official Send a message via Skype™ to MI Official
Talking

HAd an IW on a loose ball play friday. The team chose to replay (they lost the fumble)the down. As we explain to other team, head coach says "you're boning me here." our WH say "yes, but we are boning you by the rules" HC laughs and say "I know". we all got a kick out of that ( and a free round by the IW blower)
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MI Official
HAd an IW on a loose ball play friday. The team chose to replay (they lost the fumble)the down. As we explain to other team, head coach says "you're boning me here." our WH say "yes, but we are boning you by the rules" HC laughs and say "I know". we all got a kick out of that ( and a free round by the IW blower)
Well then, the team shouldn't have had a choice. Loose ball plays involving an IW are automatically replayed.

Threw a late hit against the worst team in the state a few weeks ago. I was working HL and it was against the home team so I relayed the number and the fact that he hit after the whistle through my white hat. The white hat (I get this story at half) went over and told the coach "24 hit after the whistle coach." The coach replied "That's horse$&!t, and I know it." The white hat said he told the coach that it was indeed after the whistle, and the coach said "Come on, he hasn't hit before the whistle all year--and now you're telling me he's hitting people after the whistle?!"
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SouthGARef
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by MI Official
The white hat (I get this story at half) went over and told the coach "24 hit after the whistle coach." The coach replied "That's horse$&!t, and I know it." The white hat said he told the coach that it was indeed after the whistle, and the coach said "Come on, he hasn't hit before the whistle all year--and now you're telling me he's hitting people after the whistle?!"

That is funny. NFL films putting mics on the coaches have definatly have a trickle down effect on sideline comments. :-)
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SouthGARef
Quote:
Well then, the team shouldn't have had a choice. Loose ball plays involving an IW are automatically replayed.
REPLY: Not true in Federation ball. If an IW is blown while the ball is loose following a fumble, illegal kick, illegal forward pass, or backward pass, the team last in possssion has the choice of replaying or having the down count where the runner lost possession.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

The confusion comes from whether it was a loose ball play or a loose ball during a running play....I think it was a loose ball during a running play and therefore administered correctly with options given....oh no...here we go with what options to provide
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
The confusion comes from whether it was a loose ball play or a loose ball during a running play....I think it was a loose ball during a running play and therefore administered correctly with options given....oh no...here we go with what options to provide
I agree with cmathews. The ball was loose, but this is not necessarily a loose ball play (and just because a play is a loose ball play, that does not influence IW options, if there are any).

The ball is loose following a fumble so NF Rule 4-2-3b is in effect. A gets the choice of replaying the down or putting the ball in play where possession was lost.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

About the third play of the game, my linesman went to the visting coach (which has about 27 assistants) and said "Help me out coach, only three coaches in the box". The coach replied, "You going to count them all night?" My linesman said, "No Sir, I expect you to." and immediately extended a sideline warning!

I never saw more than three the rest of the night!