The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Can anyone tell me that if a defender plays the receiver, not the ball, when needs to happen to become pass interference?
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb FED Rules only.

In FED rules, you have to have contact of some kind to have a DPI or OPI call. The only time you do not have to have contact is when a player is face guarding. I am not sure what you mean by "playing the defender and not the ball." A defender can always "play the defender" as long as he does not contact make contact with that receiver before the ball arrives or he is making an honest attempt at the ball.

Not sure that answers your question, but I tried.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Rut,

Thanks. Another question. If the defender is facing the receiver and the receiver slows up to make an attempt to catch the ball, and the defender does not make an attempt to catch or bat the ball if there is contact, is it DPI? (sorry so long)
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

If he interferes with the opportunity to make the catch, then yes, DPI.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kenref1
Rut,

Thanks. Another question. If the defender is facing the receiver and the receiver slows up to make an attempt to catch the ball, and the defender does not make an attempt to catch or bat the ball if there is contact, is it DPI? (sorry so long)
I would think so. It does not matter if they are aware of the ball or not. They cannot make contact with a receiver before the ball gets there. The only way you would even consider this type of contact incidental is if the defender was clearly was playing the ball and did so without impeding the progress of the receiver. BTW, the same thing applies against the offensive player.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Guy's! I am working with a local coach who has brought this up. I just wanted to see if I was correct in what I have read about this. Good luck this weekend!
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: FED Rules only.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
In FED rules, you have to have contact of some kind to have a DPI or OPI call
Sorry Rut, but not true, as per Casebook play 7.5.10, Situation C. If one of the players makes no attempt to catch the ball, and hinders the vision of the opposing player, PI can be called, and as the CB ruling states, this is the only time PI can be called without contact. I believe (please correct me if I am wrong), under NCAA rules, there has to be contact to have pass interference.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 08:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Did you not read the entire post?

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Sorry Rut, but not true, as per Casebook play 7.5.10, Situation C. If one of the players makes no attempt to catch the ball, and hinders the vision of the opposing player, PI can be called, and as the CB ruling states, this is the only time PI can be called without contact. I believe (please correct me if I am wrong), under NCAA rules, there has to be contact to have pass interference.
Did you read the next sentence?

"The only time you do not have to have contact is when a player is face guarding"

Peace
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

You are correct that in the NCAA, faceguarding is legal.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Well, we all agree that you do not have to have contact to call PI.

But, what if you had deliberate PI?

15 yards + auto 1st Down
plus another 15 yards for being deliberate PI

Try to explain that to a coach
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Did you not read the entire post?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you read the next sentence?

"The only time you do not have to have contact is when a player is face guarding"

Peace
I only said something, because there was no "except" in the sentence "in FED rules, you have to have contact of some kind to have a DPI or OPI call." Now to me (and I could be totally wrong!) face guarding is looking at the face of the receiver to tell when the ball is coming, etc. It is not necessarily hindering the receiver's vision, and, using that definition, I don't think that face guarding is, by itself, a foul.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Did you not read the entire post?

Quote:
I only said something, because there was no "except" in the sentence "in FED rules, you have to have contact of some kind to have a DPI or OPI call." Now to me (and I could be totally wrong!) face guarding is looking at the face of the receiver to tell when the ball is coming, etc. It is not necessarily hindering the receiver's vision, and, using that definition, I don't think that face guarding is, by itself, a foul.
Look at 7.5.10 Situation C.

A1 or B1 is in position where he might catch or intercept a forward pass beyond the NZ. An opponent, who is in the vincinity, waves his arms to block the vision of the potential reciever or interceptor.

RULING: Hindering an opponent's vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, is PI even though no contact was made. This is the only situation in which there may be PI without contact.

Right out the casebook.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Did you not read the entire post?

Quote:
Quote:
Look at 7.5.10 Situation C.

A1 or B1 is in position where he might catch or intercept a forward pass beyond the NZ. An opponent, who is in the vincinity, waves his arms to block the vision of the potential reciever or interceptor.

RULING: Hindering an opponent's vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, is PI even though no contact was made. This is the only situation in which there may be PI without contact.

Right out the casebook.

Peace
Well, my original point was that it CAN be a foul for pass interference with no contact being made. All I am saying is that if a player does not "play" the ball, but at the same time he does not hinder the vision of a potential receiver, I do not have a foul.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Oh, so true

PSU that's a good synopsis of events as they unfold.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

If a player raises his hands and hinders the vision of the receiver, it is face guarding and pass interference. If the defender is just on the field and a low pass comes towards the area and his body blocks the receiver's vision, then no foul. rut has been right all along.