View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Did you not read the entire post?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
I only said something, because there was no "except" in the sentence "in FED rules, you have to have contact of some kind to have a DPI or OPI call." Now to me (and I could be totally wrong!) face guarding is looking at the face of the receiver to tell when the ball is coming, etc. It is not necessarily hindering the receiver's vision, and, using that definition, I don't think that face guarding is, by itself, a foul.
Look at 7.5.10 Situation C.

A1 or B1 is in position where he might catch or intercept a forward pass beyond the NZ. An opponent, who is in the vincinity, waves his arms to block the vision of the potential reciever or interceptor.

RULING: Hindering an opponent's vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, is PI even though no contact was made. This is the only situation in which there may be PI without contact.

Right out the casebook.

Peace
Well, my original point was that it CAN be a foul for pass interference with no contact being made. All I am saying is that if a player does not "play" the ball, but at the same time he does not hinder the vision of a potential receiver, I do not have a foul.