The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

I am the secretary for our local chapter. The problem we are discussing at our meetings lately is getting some of the veterans to work scrimages. They seem to think that they don't need to work them. They say it doesn't benefit them. I tell them what about the new guy you could be helping. Just wanted to know what some other chapters do about scrimages. Been reading this forum for a couple of years and have learned alot and has kept me on my toes thinking about some of the senerios posted. keep up the good work guys.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

i'd simply say - no scrimmages - no varsity.....

i think scrimmages are necessary to get your mind back towards football - the flow of the game, the speed of the game.

each official in our association works two scrimmages - now he only may do a quarter in each, but he's there for the entire game - whether it is on a clock, or an ear of a newer official - we might have 10-12 at each scrimmage.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
We have to work 2 scrimmages. Now they will let you work a JV or freshman scrimmage as one, but we have to work 2 and attendance is kept and reported back to the assignment committee.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Scrimages around here are treated just like game assignments. Unfortunately, sometimes we don't get one at all. I wish they were mandatory since it gets you in tune before the games count.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I can't believe that these veterans are refusing to work scrimmages. I like GeorgiaBlue's policy, provided you have the luxury of enough varsity officials to enforce it.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Unhappy

Sadly, it's probably the guys who would benefit most that are turning down scrimmages.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up

Scrimmages are treated like games in our association and are assigned by the assignor. In fact, we have crew chiefs that seek out intersquad scrimmages just to get additional reps before the season starts.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I had the fortunate opportunity to help call two intrasquad Div II college pre-season scrimmages. At the second one, we had 12 officials and I was able to rotate at two positions LJ and BJ. While there, I was "educated" and "encouraged" by a total of five different officials in my association (Two that call regularly on Saturdays). They were all eager to help and give me pointers. The best part was the speed at which the game occured. Things and bodies were flying everywhere but after 2 series, things started slowing down. This made the HS games seem like they were going in slow motion.
I learned a GREAT deal from these guys, it is sad to hear that there are some who seem that they could care less to share their knowledge.
I cant wait for next year to get to do this again !!
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

At least at the high school level---
any officials association needs to have enough members
to enforce rules like no scrimmage-- no assignments !
Back in CNY--- a scrimmage the week before the regular
season was a "muster" and it was done gratis, although
the schools paid the association a set fee for officials.
I'm not sure about here in SW FL, but it seems that
such a rule is not in force.
In my mind, any official worth their salt would WANT
to work a scrimmage before the regular games.
BTW-- I'm in my 35th season (3rd here) and still
loving it !!
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone needs scrimmages. More important, every crew needs to get used to working together. After 8 months of no work, we all need to get the cobwebs out. If someone is so great that they don't need scrimmages, then they owe it to their crew to get out and assist them.

If we don't do scrimmages, we are kicked off the crew and replaced by someone else.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

no scrimmage no schedule period!!!