The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Was working JV game, running back runs for 4 yard gain and forward progress was stopped, however, the linemans didn't blow his whistle, running back changes direction to get more yard, but gets tackled 5 yard from previous forward progess... Where do you mark the ball now?
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

if he gained another 5 yards, then I guess his forward progress wasn't stopped then was it?

here's how i rule on forward progress - it's a judgement thing. if i feel a runner cannot change direction and can only get pushed back or injured by others piling on - then i blow the whistle that forward progress is over. I blow it LOUD and LONG to let everyone know what i have!
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

The ball is spotted where the linesman feels the runner's forward progress was stopped. If he did not blow the whistle, it's LIKELY (but not DEFINITIVE) that the linesman did not feel his forward progress was stopped.

However, it does come up often where the runner hits a pile, stops, but still churns his legs, and goes backward a bit. As L, you will often wait just a second to see if he can reestablish forward momentum - and if he doesn't, spot it where he was initially stopped.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
To add to GeorgiaBlue, if no whistle was blown and the runner lost five yards, thats a hard sell to move the ball up to where, as you explained, his forward progress stopped. If no whistle was blown there by the LJ/LM at the point of progress being stopped, the result stands in my book.