Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Intentional Pass Interference

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeyes
If you called it I believe it would give a bad vote even if the call was justified. Alot of the Pass Interference could be called that, but I've never seen it called.
I have never seen nor called this, it would have to be blatant and very ovious. IE the player sees the ball in the air and he just tackles the guy to prevent a catch.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Intentional Pass Interference

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeyes
If you called it I believe it would give a bad vote even if the call was justified. Alot of the Pass Interference could be called that, but I've never seen it called.
It was called in the Florida/Tennessee game about 5 years ago.

Not sure which team, but the receiver burnt his defensive back. The pass was in the air, and since the defender knew he was beat he intentionally grabbed and yanked the receiver down by the facemask. He was penalized 30 yards for malicious pass interference.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
The umpire on my crew likes to ask questions to try to stump the rest of us. I thought I'd share it.

I would like to give first shots to the new officials (2 years or less of experience) before you veterens post the correct answer.
Thanks!

Quote:
In football, there is one foul that actually mandates a 30 yard penalty (well, actually two 15 yard distance penalties marked off back-to-back.) This is for a single foul, not combining fouls (such as a live ball foul followed by a dead ball foul.) The foul itself is a live ball foul. You rarely see this foul called, but it behooves the back judge, line judge, linesman and umpire to be familiar with it. I have seen it called once in 12 years. (No, it isn't Unfair Acts.) Either the defense or offense can be penalized for the infraction

Intentional pass interference (Table 7-5). Don't forget to award 1st/lose a down, appropriately.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

To add on to this question:

Would we enforce this as two separate 15 yarders or one 30 yard penalty?

If the penalty was on B on a play that started on the 50, would we simply penalize 1/2 the distance (because it's a 30 yarder) to the 25? Or would we enforce like two 15 yard penalties to the 35, and then to the 20?
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
To add on to this question:

Would we enforce this as two separate 15 yarders or one 30 yard penalty?

If the penalty was on B on a play that started on the 50, would we simply penalize 1/2 the distance (because it's a 30 yarder) to the 25? Or would we enforce like two 15 yard penalties to the 35, and then to the 20?
This has been talked in the past, I think the main concensus was TWO seperate 15 yard penalties.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

It's PI followed by an USC. We could have called it about 4 years ago. Receiver was all alone waiting for the bomb. Cornerback was running full tilt and creamed the receiver about 3 seconds before the ball arrived, the cornerback had him in his sights the entire way. No gonads on our crew to call it.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
It's PI followed by an USC. We could have called it about 4 years ago. Receiver was all alone waiting for the bomb. Cornerback was running full tilt and creamed the receiver about 3 seconds before the ball arrived, the cornerback had him in his sights the entire way. No gonads on our crew to call it.
Where does it say PI + USC?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Where does it say PI + USC?
It doesn't say it explicitly, but if you check the signals given, it lists S27 (USC) after the additional 15 yards for intentional PI.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Right, the two signals given for penaly enforcement is PI then USC. My question has always been why isn't the second signal a personal foul, since this is a contact foul.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right, the two signals given for penaly enforcement is PI then USC. My question has always been why isn't the second signal a personal foul, since this is a contact foul.
The pass interference is the contact foul... The "second half" of the foul is for the intent... Thus, it's USC...

Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

How about pass interfernce on B and as the ball arrives B face masks A as he is trying to make the catch??

Just a thought, Ron
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by See_Leather
How about pass interfernce on B and as the ball arrives B face masks A as he is trying to make the catch??

Just a thought, Ron
Good call but Pass Int. is not a personal foul.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by GBFBUmp
Intentional Pass interference???? (I fit the requirements, year number 2 and still with the "deer in the Headlights" look most of the time). Reference 7-5-8 art. 10. I carry my rule book just about everywhere.
Good job. You get the wear the "NO BOZO" button.

6 years of working football and I've personally never seen it called.
Been doing FB since 1975 and never seen it called. Anyone have an idea as to what it would look like? Sounds more like it would be PI with PF added on.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by See_Leather

Just a thought, Ron
This would be a multiple foul (maybe) and Team A would get their choice of which one to accept.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Mike I thought about that after I had submitted the question. Thanks for the question, I used it at our associations mechanics meeting last night.