The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Question for New Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/football/15479-question-new-officials.html)

mikesears Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:40am

The umpire on my crew likes to ask questions to try to stump the rest of us. I thought I'd share it.

I would like to give first shots to the new officials (2 years or less of experience) before you veterens post the correct answer.
Thanks!

Quote:

In football, there is one foul that actually mandates a 30 yard penalty (well, actually two 15 yard distance penalties marked off back-to-back.) This is for a single foul, not combining fouls (such as a live ball foul followed by a dead ball foul.) The foul itself is a live ball foul. You rarely see this foul called, but it behooves the back judge, line judge, linesman and umpire to be familiar with it. I have seen it called once in 12 years. (No, it isn't Unfair Acts.) Either the defense or offense can be penalized for the infraction

James Neil Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by mikesears

I would like to give first shots to the new officials (2 years or less of experience) before you veterens post the correct answer.
Thanks!

[

just how long do I have to wait ! :D

mikesears Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:

Originally posted by mikesears

Thanks!

[

just how long do I have to wait ! :D

James, I love ya man (and I don't want your Bud Light).

I want to give the newbies a day to try to come up with the answer.

Patsfan2431 Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:00am

I think i heard of a rule that on the second unsportsmanlike of the game (with both having the intent to injure an opposing player) the foul is 30 yards. The third with the intent to injure is a 30 yard foul and ejection of the head coach of the penalized team. Not sure about this though.

SoGARef Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:10am

Mike,

You say we have to wait until when? Chomping at the bit!!!

Snake~eyes Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by Patsfan2431
I think i heard of a rule that on the second unsportsmanlike of the game (with both having the intent to injure an opposing player) the foul is 30 yards. The third with the intent to injure is a 30 yard foul and ejection of the head coach of the penalized team. Not sure about this though.
This is an easy one, Patsfan, that is not right. It has nothing to do with unsportsmanlike conduct. :)

andy1033 Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:25am

look at a Pass play

GBFBUmp Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:33am

Intentional Pass interference???? (I fit the requirements, year number 2 and still with the "deer in the Headlights" look most of the time). Reference 7-5-8 art. 10. I carry my rule book just about everywhere.

Snake~eyes Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by GBFBUmp
Intentional Pass interference???? (I fit the requirements, year number 2 and still with the "deer in the Headlights" look most of the time). Reference 7-5-8 art. 10. I carry my rule book just about everywhere.
Yeap! :) Good job, now that you got the answer do you think you have the gonads to call it? lol ;)

GBFBUmp Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

Yeap! :) Good job, now that you got the answer do you think you have the gonads to call it? lol ;)

Are you kidding?! I am primarily an Umpire.... I try and refrain from those kind of calls while attempting to stay on my feet :D

mikesears Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:43pm

Quote:

Good job. You get the wear the "NO BOZO" button. :)

6 years of working football and I've personally never seen it called.

SouthGARef Tue Sep 21, 2004 02:51pm

Easy. (Honor system--I didn't look)

Deliberate and malicious pass interference.

jumpmaster Tue Sep 21, 2004 03:34pm

Quote:

Great Job! and keep carrying your book. It makes great $h!++er reading. :D

I had this discussion with my Umpire (NCAA Ref) yesterday. I play stump the crew with my rookies every week as well and this was one of the results that I didn't think of.

Buckeyes Tue Sep 21, 2004 03:42pm

Intentional Pass Interference

If you called it I believe it would give a bad vote even if the call was justified. Alot of the Pass Interference could be called that, but I've never seen it called.

GBFBUmp Tue Sep 21, 2004 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jumpmaster
Quote:

Great Job! and keep carrying your book. It makes great $h!++er reading. :D

Exactly where I happened upon the answer....... Maybe that's TMI.