The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like some feedback from other crews, regions, states, etc. about your wings. How far onto the field do your wings stand at the snap? We always have been told that we stand with our toes on the OB line and officiate from there unless it is 4th and inches or goal line situation where we move in. I've noticed in some films that the wings are on the field at the snap.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 07:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Philosophy

In our pro game, the wings stand on the sidelines and come in as needed at the snap.

In the amateur game, the wings will come into the numbers (about 12 yards) if the snap is from the far hash marks. If on the near hash marks, they're on teh sideline. If between the hash marks, come in accordingly.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

OFF the field from goal line to goal line no matter where the ball is snapped from. Move in only after a TD, successful TRY or FG.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:48pm
Never Stop Learning

I'm sure that it would depend on what caliber of ball you were calling but at the high school level what is called for is no closer then 9 yards outside the widest offensive player. I know some of our officials will not leave the sideline if their life depended on it but I like to get into the action maybe more then some.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
OFF the field from goal line to goal line no matter where the ball is snapped from. Move in only after a TD, successful TRY or FG.
I agree, you can run foward a lot faster, once the ball is snapped adjust accordingly, the worst thing that can happen is for you to get caught up in the play; this looks really bad.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
I have taught my rookies to start the play with their heels on the sideline. As they learn their positions, they have started squeezing, but never inside the numbers, when a running offense is on the opposite hash. We have so many teams that run a pass-oriented offense that the wings spend most of their times with their heels on the sidelines.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

We officiate from the sideline in then you BUST to the play this keeps you from being inside and letting anything behind you.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Off. Always.

If there is some type of reverse on the play it is very bad if the runner (or any other player for that matter) gets behind you. Plus there is no reason to get involved in the play (not to mention, I don't want to be creamed).
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to New AZ Ref
As a 1st year official, we have been told to start at the sidelines and only come in on a fumble or a close play where we have to dig through the pile.

Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by New AZ Ref
As a 1st year official, we have been told to start at the sidelines and only come in on a fumble or a close play where we have to dig through the pile.

You don't come in to get the spot or retrieve the ball?
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to New AZ Ref
[/B][/QUOTE]

You don't come in to get the spot or retrieve the ball? [/B][/QUOTE]

We do come in and get the spot or retrieve the ball, but not until after the play and all other activity is over.

Probably starting out slow since I have only done 1 JV game and (3) 7th & 8th games.

Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

In Georgia, we've been taught to be 9 yards off from the widest receiver. If the play goes to the other side, we diagonal to the hash to keep the play boxed in. I've found if you're reading your tackles like you're supposed to, not watching the ball, you can see the reverse coming a mile away. Haven't had a problem of getting involved in the play--yet. If it does come our way while we're backing up, we also try to take a step or two towards the backfield to help get out of the way.

I think the worst thing you can do to a new referee is chain him to the sideline. There are too many things he's missing out on.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

Off on every play, wider is better. If you are on the wings, and have to move backwards at the snap, you are without a doubt putting yourself at a disadvantage. It's a lot easier to move forwards and to do your job, then to move backwards and worry about the sideline, tripping and what have you.

Actually, there is seldom reason to come in onto the field during the play, even if you are outside the sideline. I've tried both (before our mechanics mandated a starting position at the sideline), and there is no question that you put yourself in a much better position when you stay outside your sideline, even if it's a 4-man crew.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Talking

It looks unprofessional and "cluttered" if the wings are anywhere but their SL. Let the playing feild remain where the sport is played. fficiate from the SL and work outside-in!

J
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

I'm on the sideline to start unless we're doing sub-V (like 7th/8th. For them, I often cheat in a bit, especially with a 3-man crew.