The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I know that on a 1st-and-10 situation, L sets the clip on the chain (or, if lucky, has someone on the chain crew do it) so that the chains can be re-positioned if moved or during a measurement.

However, the mechanics also state that the chain should be clipped on a 1st-and-Goal situation. Why would this need to be done when there won't be any chance for a measurement, and the chains are set down anyways?
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Lets say the ball is 1st and goal at the 6 1/2 yard line.

The play goes towards the linesman side of the field and the runner goes out of bounds near the down stake and there is offensive holding.

Well the guy in charge of the down marker has bailed out fro safety and you have to mark off the penalty from the previous line of scrimmage.

With the chains being clipped you now will have an exact location as to where 1st down started and get the proper mark off rather than guess.

Hope that makes sense to you
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo

Hope that makes sense to you
It does, but just seems like a waste of time when the situation doesn't happen regularly, and when it will only help on first down.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I agree! I guess it just takes a second, but what about second, third down and fourth down? Seems to me if you can remember the LOS on those three plays, you should be able to remember where the LOS is on first down.

What you got to say about that!

Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

If the box man should keep the spot as he's backing up with his foot or if he has time to actually drag the box back instead of just dropping it. It really isn't that big of a problem because the boxman really can just estimate where he was.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Golf Tees

One of our wing guys has a golf tee with him...inside the 10 he has the box guy mark the spot with the tee also as it is certainly unlikely to get knocked out...I do have a question from a reply above....why do we need to know where the LOS is for a holding penalty enforcement??? If the hold occurs behind the end of the run, it is enforced from the spot of the foul, otherwise it is enforced from the end of the run.....
Old Sun Sep 19, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

I have never saw this mechanic used either. In the post I think the point is well taken (previous spot enforcements vs. a hold which was a bad example). But, cmatthews, I agree the golf tee is better. It would be a disruption to bring the chains back out to mark where the ball will be. And, I think it will make the crew look a little silly quite frankly.

I've used a bean bag when I was on the chain crew as a cadet and it works just as well.

The part where I think it could definitely have value is toward the end of a period. Say it's 1st and goal at the 3 1/2 yard line and you need to switch ends and you wanted to get the ball exactly where it's supposed to be. I guess it could have value there if you don't have a well marked field.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

upon further review

upon further review....I see now one situation where a holding call on a "run" would need to have a previous spot enforcement....if the ball is fumbled behind the LOS it would be a loose ball play and need the previous spot....I woke up this morning thinking about that...I must be severely ill LOL...
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I know that on a 1st-and-10 situation, L sets the clip on the chain (or, if lucky, has someone on the chain crew do it) so that the chains can be re-positioned if moved or during a measurement.

However, the mechanics also state that the chain should be clipped on a 1st-and-Goal situation. Why would this need to be done when there won't be any chance for a measurement, and the chains are set down anyways?
Keep reading...where does it say that the chain should be clipped in the "goal-to-go" situation? When you get the answer it'll confuse you even more, because I don't know of any practical application of this mechanic.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jransom
Keep reading...
It may be you that needs to keep reading. Look on page 41 or page 74 of the officials manual. Under goal line play for the linesman it says to place clip on chain at intersection with goal line prior to removing it.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
Quote:
Keep reading...
It may be you that needs to keep reading. Look on page 41 or page 74 of the officials manual. Under goal line play for the linesman it says to place clip on chain at intersection with goal line prior to removing it.
Exactly! Tell me what practical application this has, please. I'm sure it has something useful somewhere, but I've overlooked it. By the way, Patton, don't be so hasty--I'm trying to get folks to read all of the application, the original post stopped short of saying where it should be clipped.

Jonathan
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
Quote:
Keep reading...
Exactly! Tell me what practical application this has, please. I'm sure it has something useful somewhere, but I've overlooked it. By the way, Patton, don't be so hasty--I'm trying to get folks to read all of the application, the original post stopped short of saying where it should be clipped.

Jonathan
OKay here's the play. Illegal formation at the snap and A22 runs a sweep to linesman side, box man has to back away and put down the box because the runner comes right at him.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Keep reading...where does it say that the chain should be clipped in the "goal-to-go" situation?
Sorry Jonathon, this statement could be interpreted two ways. Either "where do you place the clip" or "where does it say that the chain should be clipped"...I thought you meant the latter. I thought it was you who hadn't done the reading.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I use the golf tee method. The tees are cheap so I keep a supply of brightly colored tees in my bag. Each week, during my pre-game conference with the chain crew, I present the tee to the box man as a gift. I have actually returned to schools later in a the season and had the box man reach into his pocket and say "I already have my tee."