The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Does a TD count as a first down?

I have seen where guys claim that a TD is NEVER a first down, to it's ALWAYS a first down to it's only a TD if it's 4th and goal.

I have been checking the internet but I can't find anything about this.

Thanks!
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

i have no idea - but common sense tells me no. the try is an untimed down - i understand in 'reality' first downs are measured by how many 'line to gains' there are as initial first downs in a series are not counted.

i'd still say no.....
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'd imagine so.

I know that if you score a TD in NCAA where the line to gain isn't the goal line, you get credit for the first down as well. i.e., if it's 3rd and Goal and you get a TD you don't because the Goal was the line to gain. If it's 3rd and 2 from the 5 and you score, you get 6 and a statistical 1st down.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 07:47am
Ref Ump Welsch

I've been a statistician in the past, and at that time (about 6 years ago), the statistics manual for HS ball (FED) stated that a TD is a first down, no matter where the line to gain is (or if there is one). For example, 1st and Goal, kid runs it in for a touchdown, the team is credited not only with a touchdown, but a first down as well.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I've been a statistician in the past, and at that time (about 6 years ago), the statistics manual for HS ball (FED) stated that a TD is a first down, no matter where the line to gain is (or if there is one). For example, 1st and Goal, kid runs it in for a touchdown, the team is credited not only with a touchdown, but a first down as well.
I agree, NFL statistics work the same way, if you get a TD that counts as a first down.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 03:34pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I got to thinking more about my post again. The only exception to the touchdown being a first down is if the defense was to gain possession and run it back for a touchdown, i.e., an interception. Ditto for a special team return for a touchdown. Only time a touchdown is credited as a first down is when the offense scores the touchdown.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Without a change of possession.