The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Kickoff (https://forum.officiating.com/football/15421-kickoff.html)

Green Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:57am

Kickoff from K’s 40 yardline. K1 catches the kick in flight on R’s 48 yardline with no R players in the area. The covering official blows his whistle (being that K can not advance a kickoff) and signals K’s ball on R’s 48 yardline.

Legal or Illegal?

SJoldguy Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:12pm

illegal..K cannot touch a free kick in flight. Kick catching interference. 15 yds from previous spot or awarded fair catch for R. Your comment about no one ( R team)in position to catch the kick only applies to scrimmage kicks in flight.

Snake~eyes Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Green
Kickoff from K’s 40 yardline. K1 catches the kick in flight on R’s 48 yardline with no R players in the area. The covering official blows his whistle (being that K can not advance a kickoff) and signals K’s ball on R’s 48 yardline.

Legal or Illegal?

NFHS: Kick Catching Interfence. The ball must hit the ground before K can touch the ball on a kickoff.

Now the interesting part is should we blow the whistle to kill the play when he catches it? I think you let the play run and just throw your flag.

SouthGARef Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:17pm

It's dead. K can't advance a kick.

SJoldguy Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:18pm

you blow it dead!

[Edited by SJoldguy on Sep 17th, 2004 at 01:23 PM]

Theisey Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:30pm

Quote:

Legal or Illegal?

NF: illegal
NCAA: legal

makes one wonder why.

ABoselli Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:40pm

Had it last weekend but enforced it incorrectly. Went 15 from spot of catch. (it was yutes and I was trying to discourage future use of this play).

Right thing to do? Probably not.

Green Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Theisey
Quote:

Legal or Illegal?

NF: illegal
NCAA: legal

makes one wonder why.

It happen last weekend... Northwestern did it.

Green Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:59pm

Illegal Rule: 6-5-6

We had an entire crew miss this call. They gave the ball to K at the spot of the catch. This kind of kickoff doesn't happen very often, which is no excuse. The exception is on a punt.

On an onside kick, the covering official for the kicking team should know if the ball hits the ground first. The kicker usually tops the ball so that it hits the ground and then bounces up high so K can catch it, after it goes 10 yards.

[Edited by Green on Sep 17th, 2004 at 02:15 PM]

mcrowder Fri Sep 17, 2004 01:22pm

I'm wondering why it's illegal. If there's no R around to catch it, why must K (other than "that's what the rule says") wait for it to hit the ground? Seems a strange rule to me.

Snake~eyes Fri Sep 17, 2004 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SouthGARef
It's dead. K can't advance a kick.
Oh DUH! Thankyou for catching me

JugglingReferee Sat Sep 18, 2004 04:54am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Legal or Illegal?

Legal in Canada. During a kick-off, once the ball has travelled 10 yards, it is a live ball.

With the events specified, we have an inadvertant whistle, and by rule, the play is dead, and it's K's ball at the R-48.

Forksref Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

Legal or Illegal?

NFHS: Kick Catching Interfence. The ball must hit the ground before K can touch the ball on a kickoff.

Now the interesting part is should we blow the whistle to kill the play when he catches it? I think you let the play run and just throw your flag.

Of course you blow it dead. What are you going to do, let K advance it? Ball must hit the ground first. Good idea to review kicking plays periodically with your crew.

Snake~eyes Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

Legal or Illegal?

Of course you blow it dead. What are you going to do, let K advance it? Ball must hit the ground first. Good idea to review kicking plays periodically with your crew.

Yea yea yea I know I goofed, this would not have happened if I pictured it visually haha sorry! ;)

BktBallRef Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref
We review this one every Friday night. We've never gotten it wrong but I know others who have. :(