The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

The subject pretty much says it all, but here's the whole story:

I did what I could to learn the BJ position (5-man, just so we're on the same page) at my crew's assigned scrimmage. I'm pretty comfortable on the wings, so I asked to learn something new after getting used to the flow of the game again. I was coached by three different officials, all of them veterans of at least 8 years, and two had officiated playoff games.

Here's the kicker: before that, I'd never worked more than 4-man mechanics. So the wings weren't in the same place that I thought they would be, but I picked up on what they were expecting me to do and watched veterans get their snaps.

Today I worked 5-man for the first time in a youth game, and my crew was happy to let me work as BJ so I could prepare for my coming game. I feel I did well, and my crew didn't notice any deficiencies in my work (3 of them work varsity 5-man quite often). However, being a youth game, there wasn't a lot of big passes or runs that went too far out of the reach of the umpire or referee, so I didn't officiate my area all that often.

I have a JV game this Friday where I'm scheduled to work as BJ. I know that the two teams playing like to air the ball out a lot. The home team also has a good rushing game, but I have no clue about the visiting team.

What advice would you have for me?

-Craig
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Here's a thread you may be of interest to you.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/15147

On rules stuff:

1) Know the kicking game rules real well including PSK
2) Be in tip-top shape especially this time of year when the humidity is high
3) Buy extra bean bags - you'll need them for PSK
4) Know force and the momentum rule
5) Know Pass interferece rules - when restrictions start and end for each team.

Some others out there may have some better ideas but the ones listed above from a rules perspective come to mind.

From a mechanics perspective I won't comment to much about that because I haven't worked this position. I will say get hold of the officials manual as there's a section about reading and understanding keys between you and the L & LJ.

Good luck.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

I think the hardest thing to learn is looking away from the ball. One or both of the wingmen has responibility on the ball carrier a majority of the time. It is hard to break that habit.

Watch the receivers on pass plays (same for wingmen), their routes and reactions will tell you the direction of the pass and even when the ball has been thrown. If you are watching the QB, you will miss OPI. And of course - no one gets behind you!

You're the man on scrimmage kicks. Strange and wonderful things will happen. Brush up on all the kicking rules - bag the end of the kick, first touching, momentum .... And never forget, a muffed kick into R's end zone is a touchback and K cannot advance a kick.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I worked BJ at the varsity level 20+ years ago. I agree with brushing up on the kicking game rules. Be active in helping retrieve the ball and returning it to the inbounds spot. In the pregame find out if the wingmen are going to face in or out when a runner goes OB and cover behind them.Hustle to remain part of the crew. The thing I remember most about being a BJ is that 4 out of 5 plays are routine and bordering on boring...BUT THE OTHER PLAY IS INCREDIBLY EXCITING!!!! and that most of those exciting plays don't involve a penalty but they involve catch or no catch calls.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SJoldguy
In the pregame find out if the wingmen are going to face in or out when a runner goes OB and cover behind them.
They should ALWAYS be facing out.

Just out of curiosity, how many beanbags should a BJ carry?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I am a fj on a six man crew so i primarily do what the BJ does out side of timing the 25 (i keep the game clock)

KNOW KICKS INSIDE AND OUT
LEARN HOW TO BACK UP AND OFFICIATE FORWARD
LOOK THINK REACT (even more than normal)

PS I carry 3 beanbags
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

1. Try not to nod off back there.

2. Deal with the guilt that comes with getting paid the same as the other four while doing half the work.

3. Have fun and ignore good-natured ribbing from non-back judges.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

As a former BJ now turned Ref the last 4 years it can get boring back there at times. Keeping the 25 second clock helps you stay in the game. Also if you have a countdown style watch you can keep a backup game clock on the field. Just in case of some clock malfunction.

Myself and my BJ (who was the former white hat in our crew) have worked on timing issues on penalty enforcements. We have come up with a couple of signals when the clock starts on the ready and the snap.

On the ready we make eye contact and use a little wind motion with our fingers.

On the snap we make eye contact and snap our fingers. This just gives us some reenforcement on our clock management.

You will be the clean up guy on lots of piles and out of bounds plays.

I also like the BJ guy to be the guy running info to the sidelines for penalties. Commucating to the far wing or coach as to what we have in regards to penalty enforcement and misc communications.

To be quite honest as the BJ and the Ref I feel they are both wearing white hats just on the opposite side of the ball. He the BJ oversees the defensive side of the ball.

The back judge can really help out the wings on holding on the ends and crack backs as well.

I could go for awhile but enough for now.
Good Luck
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Sir_eldren,

If a Back Judge is doing his job, he’s one of hardest working officials on the field. If a Back Judge says, try not to nod off back there. What he is saying, is, that he really doesn’t know the position and its responsibilities.

What the BJ can do in a game is endless:

Learn all of the defensive back’s numbers and how they cover the receivers.
Learn the offensive receiver’s numbers and how they run their patterns.
Do they throw to the tight end or is he primarily a blocker.
Cover the blocks down field in front of the ball carrier.
Know the punter’s number, if there is a change, it could be a fake punt.

Double check penalty enforcement.
Know the status of the clock. Know that a kickoff return takes about 8 to 10 seconds. An average pass play takes about 5 to 7 seconds. If the clock isn't run correctly, you have an idea of how much time to put-on or take-off the clock.

Visualize, before the game, the 7 DPI’s

Playing the Man
Playing Through the Man
Cut Off Route
Arm Bar
Hook Arm
Hook and Turn

What might be helpful, is to make a check list of all the things a Back Judge is responsible for and review them just before the game.

[Edited by Green on Sep 14th, 2004 at 01:41 AM]
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Green

Playing the Man
Playing Through the Man
Cut Off Route
Arm Bar
Hook Arm
Hook and Turn
What's the seventh?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Quote:

Playing the Man
Playing Through the Man
Cut Off Route
Arm Bar
Hook Arm
Hook and Turn
What's the seventh?
Wave the hand?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

From this veteran U:
Hope you're in condition !!
If it's a 5 man crew you'll be
doing a lot of running !

Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sir_eldren,

If a Back Judge is doing his job, he’s one of hardest working officials on the field. If a Back Judge says, try not to nod off back there. What he is saying, is, that he really doesn’t know the position and its responsibilities.

What the BJ can do in a game is endless:

Learn all of the defensive back’s numbers and how they cover the receivers.
Learn the offensive receiver’s numbers and how they run their patterns.
Do they throw to the tight end or is he primarily a blocker.
Cover the blocks down field in front of the ball carrier.
Know the punter’s number, if there is a change, it could be a fake punt.

Double check penalty enforcement.
Know the status of the clock. Know that a kickoff return takes about 8 to 10 seconds. An average pass play takes about 5 to 7 seconds. If the clock isn't run correctly, you have an idea of how much time to put-on or take-off the clock.

Playing the Man
Playing Through the Man
Cut Off Route
Arm Bar
Hook Arm
Hook and Turn

What might be helpful, is to make a check list of all the things a Back Judge is responsible for and review them just before the game.

the 7th (fed) is face guarding

[Edited by Green on Sep 14th, 2004 at 01:41 AM]
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks, everybody. I appreciate all of your advice and will definitely review the suggested rules and mechanics. Many of the people that helped me out did not mention a lot of the things that you all have, so you've been a great help.

I'll report back Friday night on how the game went. ;o)

-Craig
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

The BJ on our crew is a big part of assisting in relaying balls from the sideline back to the U in the middle of the field for most plays beyond the line of scrimmage.

It also helps when transitioning after a change of possession to venture towards the sideline of the new team in possession to help relay in the new ball.