View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

As a former BJ now turned Ref the last 4 years it can get boring back there at times. Keeping the 25 second clock helps you stay in the game. Also if you have a countdown style watch you can keep a backup game clock on the field. Just in case of some clock malfunction.

Myself and my BJ (who was the former white hat in our crew) have worked on timing issues on penalty enforcements. We have come up with a couple of signals when the clock starts on the ready and the snap.

On the ready we make eye contact and use a little wind motion with our fingers.

On the snap we make eye contact and snap our fingers. This just gives us some reenforcement on our clock management.

You will be the clean up guy on lots of piles and out of bounds plays.

I also like the BJ guy to be the guy running info to the sidelines for penalties. Commucating to the far wing or coach as to what we have in regards to penalty enforcement and misc communications.

To be quite honest as the BJ and the Ref I feel they are both wearing white hats just on the opposite side of the ball. He the BJ oversees the defensive side of the ball.

The back judge can really help out the wings on holding on the ends and crack backs as well.

I could go for awhile but enough for now.
Good Luck