View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

The subject pretty much says it all, but here's the whole story:

I did what I could to learn the BJ position (5-man, just so we're on the same page) at my crew's assigned scrimmage. I'm pretty comfortable on the wings, so I asked to learn something new after getting used to the flow of the game again. I was coached by three different officials, all of them veterans of at least 8 years, and two had officiated playoff games.

Here's the kicker: before that, I'd never worked more than 4-man mechanics. So the wings weren't in the same place that I thought they would be, but I picked up on what they were expecting me to do and watched veterans get their snaps.

Today I worked 5-man for the first time in a youth game, and my crew was happy to let me work as BJ so I could prepare for my coming game. I feel I did well, and my crew didn't notice any deficiencies in my work (3 of them work varsity 5-man quite often). However, being a youth game, there wasn't a lot of big passes or runs that went too far out of the reach of the umpire or referee, so I didn't officiate my area all that often.

I have a JV game this Friday where I'm scheduled to work as BJ. I know that the two teams playing like to air the ball out a lot. The home team also has a good rushing game, but I have no clue about the visiting team.

What advice would you have for me?

-Craig