The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Well, there you have it - proof positive that Tony Banks actually was in the NFL at some point. Who knew?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I don't mind the ball of the flag to show if tucked into the front of the pants. However, I never allow any portion of the flag to show if tucked into a pocket (side/back). I tell my guys that it looks too much like a snot rag when an official lets it hang out such as the photo above.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

While it doesn't matter on the flags being taped, after the issue with the NFL and the flag a couple of years ago hitting the player from Cleveland, your seeing more guys not taping. The issues is your altering the way the manufactur made it.
Lawyers will look for anything.

As for Bean Bags, NCAA the color is optional as long as everyone on the crew is the same. We use blue in our conference in OH. Other Div. III conference in OH is using white.

In HS, it's white ONLY>

Can I get the bean bag rights and we'll change colors every other year?????
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbulger1
1) Our state Mandates that our Beanbags be white
I feel Blue is easier to see...
I'm sorry but there's no way that a blue beanbag is easier to see than a white one.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

it is also easier to see on a poorly lined feild (or one lined with gypsum where the powder xfers to alot of places)
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbulger1
I agree w u SJOLDGUY
I did see a Vet NFL official have 15 inches of flag hanging out Bernie Kukar.... a normally great crew but he just didnt look sharp

psu where you from in PA thats where i am from
I am from Erie. You?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

pittsburgh
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 08:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
As for bean bags, no one uses them up here (Canada)
Ahem...

Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Almost no-one uses them, except for the pros and a few people who were smart enough to find the value of the bean bag
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure about the taped flags, but as for bean bags, they should be white, unless your association says otherwise. In the 04-05 Officials Manual on page 10, in the paragraph after item #9 and above Pregame Responsibilities.

"All officials must have the proper equipment; essentials are a whistle, penalty marker, WHITE bean bag to mark nonpenalty spots, ..." (I added the emphasis to WHITE)

Paul
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 08:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulJak
Not sure about the taped flags, but as for bean bags, they should be white, unless your association says otherwise. In the 04-05 Officials Manual on page 10, in the paragraph after item #9 and above Pregame Responsibilities.

"All officials must have the proper equipment; essentials are a whistle, penalty marker, WHITE bean bag to mark nonpenalty spots, ..." (I added the emphasis to WHITE)

Paul
How many people actually follow the entire mechanics manual to the letter?

I see some crews using blue to mark PSK these days. I have a hard enough time finding a white bag on green grass, especially if it hasn't been cut in a while.

I think many crews (probably mine included) have far worse problems than the color of their beanbags.

Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I would certainly agree that most crews, including mine, have far worse things to worry about and I'm also sure most crews, including mine, don't follow the mechanics manual to the letter. But some states, when deciding playoffs are definitely looking at mechanics and proper equipment could be one of those criteria. Although I would suspect that matching equipment is probably more important.

Personally I have a harder time seeing the Blue bags on the field. I imagine that if you are color blind, seeing the blue and green next to each other is pretty tough too (not sure if this is true or not).

I was simply trying to answer the question of which color should be used, and at this point there isn't any choice, there is a predefined answer in the manual. I will also admit, that certain situations, snow, may dictate that a different color, blue, works better at times, but there is no support for using blue in the manual, which unless your state says to do something different, should be how we do things.

Paul
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

The taped flag has been an issue of mine for quite some time. I just can't see any reason why we have to hide the fact that we have a flag. Also, if the reason is so that people can't see you start to pull it and then put it back, they will see the yellow as soon as you start pulling it out because only the top is white and the yellow part will get pulled out and show.

As FBullock said, lawyers will look for anything and if you happen to cause injury, the fact that you altered the flag from original specifications can hurt you. I'd rather use what I get from the manufacturer.

Finally, I have only seen 1-2 NCAA officials and only 1 NFL official without a yellow topped flag. The NCAA guys had white and the NFL official was Walt Coleman this last MNF with a black topped flag. If its good enough for the upper guys, its good enough for me. I like the yellow.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Never heard of taping the flag, but I think a flag sticking out of the pocket looks sloppy. We keep em tucked deep and most of our crews look good doing that. Also, when a coach complains about a flag, I tell 'em we have to really mean to throw the flag, they don't just fall out!
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I think that anything like the picture posted earlier is downright careless. To a much lesser degree, I think that a yellow ball sticking out the top of the pants is somewhat sloppy. Under "Use of the Penalty Marker" on page 18 of NFHS mechanics, it should be "tucked out of sight." Look at youself in the mirror if you tuck yours in your pants. The yellow detracts from your appearance, IMHO. I prefer white tape (never heard of the black); if the flag's tucked in all the way to the ball, the ball blends with your shirt, not your belt.
That's my .02 with change leftover
Jonathan