The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question Georgia Tech/Clemson

When Georgia Tech scored the go ahead TD in the fourth quarter last night it appeared after seeing the replay that the GT WR was interfered with. A couple more times through the replay I saw the official signal TD with his flag in his right hand.

Do you throw the flag on a play like that if you know the penalty will be declined by rule?
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Georgia Tech/Clemson

Quote:
Originally posted by Cordileran
When Georgia Tech scored the go ahead TD in the fourth quarter last night it appeared after seeing the replay that the GT WR was interfered with. A couple more times through the replay I saw the official signal TD with his flag in his right hand.

Do you throw the flag on a play like that if you know the penalty will be declined by rule?
I do, what if way back near the QB is a holding call against the offense that you didn't see get thrown?
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the play, but I think you have to throw the flag... There could always be another foul on the offense...
If there is, and you didn't throw your flag, then you have an awkward situation... Either you have to explain why you have offsetting fouls with only one flag, or you end up not calling the PI foul on the defense...

Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Georgia Tech/Clemson

Quote:
Originally posted by Cordileran

I would. If it is a foul, recognize it as such. Also, there may be a foul on the offense you are not aware of, so throw the flag to create a double foul situation.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the play but did not notice the flag in his hand. I thought it was a good no call. The receiver and defender were both jockying for position. My initial reaction was the receiver had pushed off and gained an advantage. On the replay - I thought it was more his jump that caused the seperation. The official may have thought the same.

I'll bet he wanted to hide that flag in a hurry!
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

agree

I agree with all the posters. In my inexperience I've been caught trying to hide the flag as well.

I did think the game was extremely well officiated.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Both NF and NCAA techniques (and good judgement) call for the flag to be thrown even if you think the penalty would be declined by rule. As others have pointed out, you could be wrong. In NF, if there was DPI and no other foul, the penalty could be assessed at the succeeding spot (the try). Right??
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Both NF and NCAA techniques (and good judgement) call for the flag to be thrown even if you think the penalty would be declined by rule. As others have pointed out, you could be wrong. In NF, if there was DPI and no other foul, the penalty could be assessed at the succeeding spot (the try). Right??
Ohh, that thought didn't even cross my mind but that is another good point.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Another thought from Georgia Tech-Clemson: What if the Clemson kicker, instead of picking up the ball, had tried to kick it - from the ground - out of the back of the end zone? Obviously, it's illegal kicking and if the penalty is declined, it's a safety. But if Georgia Tech accepts the penalty, is it 15 yards (half the distance in this case) and replay 4th down? I know that under NFHS, illegal kicking does not carry loss of down. But does it under NCAA rules? If not, it would seem that GT, in this situation, would make them re-kick instead of taking the safety.

I remember a similar situation came up in the Tennessee-Arkansas game in 1998 when the Arkansas punter kicked the ball out of his own end zone after a bad snap. The CBS announcers (I believe Sean McDonough was one) were trying to say that UT should have the ball 1-G at the ARK 2 since the kick was from the ARK 4 (half distance, loss of down). Of course, we all know how much TV announcers know. But UT took the safety and, thanks to Clint Stoerner's fumble, went on to win the game and the national championship.

Thoughts?