View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Another thought from Georgia Tech-Clemson: What if the Clemson kicker, instead of picking up the ball, had tried to kick it - from the ground - out of the back of the end zone? Obviously, it's illegal kicking and if the penalty is declined, it's a safety. But if Georgia Tech accepts the penalty, is it 15 yards (half the distance in this case) and replay 4th down? I know that under NFHS, illegal kicking does not carry loss of down. But does it under NCAA rules? If not, it would seem that GT, in this situation, would make them re-kick instead of taking the safety.

I remember a similar situation came up in the Tennessee-Arkansas game in 1998 when the Arkansas punter kicked the ball out of his own end zone after a bad snap. The CBS announcers (I believe Sean McDonough was one) were trying to say that UT should have the ball 1-G at the ARK 2 since the kick was from the ARK 4 (half distance, loss of down). Of course, we all know how much TV announcers know. But UT took the safety and, thanks to Clint Stoerner's fumble, went on to win the game and the national championship.

Thoughts?