The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 07:47am
goldcoastump

I was white hatting a JV game yesterday. We had what I judged to be a backward pass that was batted by DE then picked up by the offense and run to the 8 yrd line. It was close but I think this call should not be exclusively the referee's call. The line officials have a much better angle. What do you guys think?
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Who has the better angle?

Communication within the crew is a must
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

In the mechanics manual that I have it states that the backward pass is the wingmen's call.

Now, I don't have a lot of experience, but I have worked WH (in JV) and recently LJ (which I will be working this season) - however, we had a backwards pass in a scrimmage to my side and I really wasn't able to tell if it was backwards or not. The play was more of a broken play and the running back released late out of the backfield, so I was maybe 5-10 yards downfield behind the receiver on my side, so from my perspective, I really couldn't tell.

It seems to me - and I know I still need to train my eyes for the wings - that the referee has a better shot at seeing if the pass is backwards or not since he is standing closest to the quarterback.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I think it depends on the circumstances. If the QB immediately stands up from the snapper and throws out to the wing, it needs to be the wing's call whether it was backward or forward because the referee is back too far to see properly. If the QB drops back, and then throws, it needs to be the R's call since the drop back is probably also accompanied by some receivers heading downfield and taking the wings' attentions with them. Now for the $64K question...in the former case, which wing should have primary responsibility for the call? Comments??
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

The way we're trained if it's a quick hit where the QB stands up and IMMEDIATELY throws across, it will be the wing's call. If he takes two or three steps, the Ref will make the call.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

We have the wing that whose side the pass is toward give help with that call because even though his angle may not be the best, he is closer to the play. The opposite wing has different places to look during that play away from him, not to mention that there may be players that would be obstructing his view. If in doubt; it's incomplete. We tell our guys that they have to be 110% sure that the thing was backward in order to punch it back.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I will agree with PA. On our crew, we have the wing that the pass is going toward rule on forward or backwards in the snap-pass situation. As stated before, he may not have the best angle but we feel he can sell the call better than the wing across the field.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldcoastump
I was white hatting a JV game yesterday. We had what I judged to be a backward pass that was batted by DE then picked up by the offense and run to the 8 yrd line. It was close but I think this call should not be exclusively the referee's call. The line officials have a much better angle. What do you guys think?
Goldcoastump,

Both the 5 man and 6 man manuals producted by Dr. Swearingen and Payne state that the wingmen should watch for "immediate" throws by the quarterback down the line of scrimmage to determine if the pass is forward or backward. It also says that the referee watches for backward passes. So it really comes down to the best angle. In my crew, the wingmen have the pop passes and I have most everything that involves the QB dropping back.

For those of you not from GA, our state association produces a mechanics manual that take precident over the NF officials manual.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

With NFHS rules and mechanics the R should have the best view since his position is on the throwing arm side of the QB. And, an NFHS backward pass is determined by the initial direction of the pass.

NCAA requires knowing where the pass originated and is caught or strikes the ground. That requires the wings.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Question How can he see that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
With NFHS rules and mechanics the R should have the best view since his position is on the throwing arm side of the QB. And, an NFHS backward pass is determined by the initial direction of the pass.
Ed,

That only works if the QB scrabbles around, then throws a pass. The Referee might be 10-15 yards away on a quick pass. There is no way he is going to tell on a quick to the sideline.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

The $64K question...

The NF mechanics manual appears to be silent as to which wing. My opinion is that the offside official (from whom the pass is moving away) has the best look at the forward/backward call, for two reasons: (1) If the receiver is close to the sideline, the near official will have a hard time getting a good angle. He may also be screened by the receiver or a defender. (2) It's just plain more difficult to judge something coming straight at you than moving away.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I totally agree with you Roamin" Umpire. The opposite wing has the best view of the direction of the pass. The simple reason our crew has gone to having the wing the pass is coming to make the call is that (1) it is very ackward to have the opposite wing make the call, (2) I feel we can do a better job of "selling" the call to the coaches with the close wing making the call.

This is one of those calls in NF that is difficult with the way the rule is written and the number of officials.

Until someone can give me a better option, that is the way we will call it.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: How can he see that?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Ed,

That only works if the QB scrabbles around, then throws a pass. The Referee might be 10-15 yards away on a quick pass. There is no way he is going to tell on a quick to the sideline.

Peace
Rut,

One thing I don't look for is controversy, so if the QB's throw even resembles a forward pass, it is forward. To call it backwards I have to see the frame of the upper body clearly turned backwards.

My personal observation is the quick pass is easier to see because the QB will turn his entire body and you have the benefit of having the offense set before the throw such that you might know the QB's intention.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Red face It's According to . . . . .

I wouldn't say that the Linesman are totally responsible. To me it's according how quick the quarteback releases the ball and how quick the Linesman start up field with his responsibilities. I try my best to see how the quarterback set up before I cover my receiver. Let's say about 2 seconds. In most cases on the backwards passes I witness, I was able to call them even though the Referee saw it the same way and agreed. I felt I was responsible within that time frame and from where I was positioned. Once I'm 5 to 10 yards upfield . . . . then it's on the Referee.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

$64K Question...

REPLY: I agree with AxeMan and Roamin' Umpire. The opposite wing definitely has the better angle to make the call, but it's a much harder call to sell. We also have the ball-side wing make that call.